31.3306, Disc: Online Panel Discussion: Video Conferencing – Perspectives from Linguistics, Sociology and Information Technology

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 29 08:27:56 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3306. Thu Oct 29 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3306, Disc: Online Panel Discussion: Video Conferencing – Perspectives from Linguistics, Sociology and Information Technology

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 04:26:07
From: Marlena Jakobs [marlena.jakobs at fu-berlin.de]

Communication is more than just conveying contents. In our everyday
conversations, we follow certain norms and manners without necessarily being
completely aware of doing so. During the last few months, many of us
experienced first hand how our system of verbal communication rules seems to
work primarily (most efficiently) for direct face-to-face-communication. Using
subtle body language, eye-contact, or minimal changes of the speech rate, we
signal who is supposed to speak and when, for example. However, when video
becomes the medium through which people communicate, conversations frequently
get disturbed and misunderstandings arise.
In our online panel discussion we want to take a closer look at communication
via video. Together with our guests Heiko Hausendorf (linguistics, Universität
Zürich), Paula-Irene Villa Braslavsky (sociology,
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München), and Claudia Müller-Birn (computer
science, Freie Universität Berlin) we want to reflect on what exactly happens
when we (only) communicate via video, in pairs as well as in groups. What
difficulties arise? How can these possibly be overcome through changing
communication behaviour or perhaps using other technical aids? But also: what
opportunities does increasing video communication offer for each individual,
but also for society as a whole? What does all that mean for our concept of
sociality? How will we shape our human interaction in the future? The
discussion will be held in German.

Panelists:
Heiko Hausendorf (Universität Zürich), Claudia Müller-Birn (Freie Universität
Berlin) und Paula-Irene Villa Braslavsky (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
München)

Moderators:
Matthias Hüning & Horst Simon (Freie Universität Berlin)

For further information
www.fu-berlin.de/dhc/ling-nov

An event by Interdisziplinäres Zentrum Europäische Sprachen in cooperation
with the Dahlem Humanities Center (Freie Universität Berlin) and the Berlin
Science Week

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics