31.3309, Calls: Hist Ling, Ling Theories/Greece

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 30 00:21:07 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3309. Thu Oct 29 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3309, Calls: Hist Ling, Ling Theories/Greece

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 20:19:45
From: Igor Yanovich [igor.yanovich at uni-tuebingen.de]
Subject: Towards a holistic understanding of language contact in the past

Full Title: Towards a holistic understanding of language contact in the past

Date: 31-Aug-2021 - 03-Sep-2021
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact Person: Igor Yanovich
Meeting Email: sle2021.contact.theories at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Linguistic Theories

Call Deadline: 10-Nov-2020

Meeting Description:

The classical 20th-century theoretical approaches to language tend to view
grammar through a basically monolingual perspective. This general tendency is
perhaps due to the Saussurean view on languages as abstract systems, but also
to the dominant monolingualism ideologies of late-modern nation-states (in the
context of historical linguistics, see Laakso 2014). The tendency to view
grammar in isolation from multilingual settings is so pervasive that even
modern approaches do not often overcome the monolingual paradigm. Undoubtedly,
the biggest culprit in perpetuating such a view has been the generative quest
of internal grammar and the misconceptions of what this is and how to capture
it.

At the same time, the effects of language contact very clearly manifest
themselves, as discussed in the literature on language contact (see Matras
2009), contact-induced and “shared” grammaticalization (see Heine & Kuteva
2005, Robbeets & Cuyckens 2013), sometimes resulting in areal patterns
particularly relevant for linguistic typology (see e.g. Koptevskaja-Tamm
2006).

Given that grammatical transfer is very real—in fact, rather pervasive—many
authors and workshops have tried to address the impasse in dealing with
language contact. As practitioners working in the field of historical and
contact linguistics, we feel that there continues to be an important gap
between the fact of commonly happening grammatical transfer in language
contact and our theorizing about such grammars. We believe that this gap needs
to be narrowed and eventually closed for the sake of both theories of grammar
and theories of language contact. In fact, we would like to take this further
and ask the question: Do we really need a separate theory of language contact?
The rather attractive alternative would be to reduce the effects of language
contact to theories of language acquisition, sociolinguistics, external
factors as well as more generalised cognitive mechanisms such as copy and
analogy which once properly interwoven they can offer holistic explanations
(see Sitaridou 2014, 2018, 2019).

The aim of this workshop is to contribute to this and other related questions.
In the full call for papers (download here: http://tiny.cc/8c7ysz), we further
outline several themes that we find important for making such progress.

We are particularly keen on receiving abstracts that interweave findings and
approaches from more than one sub-field thus aiming for holistic treatments.

Workshop Organisers:
Nikolaos Lavidas (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens); Ioanna
Sitaridou (University of Cambridge, Queens’ College); Igor Yanovich
(Universität Tübingen)

Call for Papers:

Full call for papers: http://tiny.cc/8c7ysz

Please send us a 300-word abstract of your paper to
sle2021.contact.theories at gmail.com no later than November 10, 2020. Please see
Additional Information for a further description of possible topics to
address.

After the short abstracts are assembled into a panel proposal, it will be
accepted or rejected by the SLE conference, in accordance with the usual SLE
procedure.

Important dates
November 10, 2020: deadline for submission of short (300-words) abstracts
December 15, 2020: notification of acceptance/ rejection of SLE workshop
proposals
January 15, 2021: deadline for submission of 500-words abstracts
March 31, 2021: notification of acceptance/rejection of individual abstracts.