31.2787, Jobs: French; Spanish; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics: Lecturer, University of Southern Maine

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 14 15:52:31 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2787. Mon Sep 14 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2787, Jobs: French; Spanish; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics: Lecturer, University of Southern Maine

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 11:52:03
From: Michelle Nadeau [mgelinas at maine.edu]
Subject: French; Spanish; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics: Lecturer, University of Southern Maine, USA

University or Organization: University of Southern Maine
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Maine, USA
Web Address: https://usm.maine.edu/linguistics
Job Title: Part-time Faculty - Linguistics
Job Rank: Lecturer

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics

Required Language(s): French (fra)
                      Spanish (spa)

The University of Southern Maine seeks applicants for a part-time instructor
position in linguistics to teach one or both of the following courses in
Spring 2021:

FRE 416: The Linguistic Structure of French
SPA 416: The Linguistics Structure of Spanish

Both courses will be offered online/synchronous. This means that the classes
will meet via Zoom at scheduled times. (This choice of modality is independent
of the pandemic.)

The spring semester is currently scheduled for 1/19 to 5/8, but may be moved a
couple of weeks later due to the pandemic. The courses are scheduled for
Mondays 5 to 7:30 p.m. (FRE 416) and Thursday 5 to 7:30 p.m. (SPA 416).

The course descriptions are below:
FRE 416 The Linguistic Structure of French:
This course focuses on where French fits into the typological classification
of the world’s languages. This course primarily covers morphological and
syntactic typology, surveying the type of patterns that are found across
languages of the world. Assignments will focus on the structure of French,
with some comparison across French dialects and with other Romance languages.
Prerequisites: FRE 301, LIN 312, LIN 313, and LIN 317. Offered spring. Cr 3.

SPA 416 The Linguistic Structure of Spanish:
This course focuses on where Spanish fits in the typological classification of
the world’s languages. This course primarily covers morphological and
syntactic typology, surveying the type of patterns that are found across
languages of the world. Assignments will focus on the structure of Spanish,
with some comparison across Spanish dialects and with other Romance languages.
Prerequisites: SPA 301, LIN 312, LIN 313, and LIN 317. Offered spring. Cr 3.

The Department of Linguistics is an undergraduate program within the College
of Science, Technology and Health. Linguistics students can major in general
linguistics or in a number of concentrations. We also offer several minors.
Information on the programs (including descriptions of the courses that are
prerequisites to FRE/SPA 416) is here:
https://usm.maine.edu/linguistics/degrees

We live our USM Service Promise Student Focused Every Day and we are looking
for a faculty member who understands that promise and supports our values:
Respect & Care, Integrity, Equity, and Responsiveness.

We are the University of Everyone – committed to building a culturally diverse
team of leaders, faculty and staff.  We welcome applicants who are
multi-lingual.  Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans
are encouraged to apply.

Part time faculty members are paid on a credit hour basis based on prior
college teaching experience. In addition, USM employees have access to the
library, Cigna Employee Assistance Plan, and fitness center (s) with their USM
Card. USM also offers Part time faculty the opportunity for development
frequently through our Center for Collaboration and Development (CCD), the
chance to get an online teaching certification and training through CTEL, in
addition to other developmental opportunities open to all staff throughout the
year.

Qualifications:
- Master’s or Ph.D. in Linguistics;
- Research or course work in French/Spanish linguistics;
- Fluency in French/Spanish;
- Ability to teach linguistics in French/Spanish; and
- Experience teaching linguistics courses at the undergraduate level.

Preferred:
- Experience teaching online.

To apply and for more information, please visit the application link provided
below.

Application Deadline: 30-Sep-2020

Web Address for Applications: https://usm.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=64266&job=part-time-faculty-linguistics-spring-2021
Contact Information: