31.2944, Books: Researching Language in Superdiverse Urban Contexts: Mar-Molinero (ed.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 30 02:30:24 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2944. Tue Sep 29 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2944, Books: Researching Language in Superdiverse Urban Contexts: Mar-Molinero (ed.)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 22:29:44
From: Flo McClelland [flo at multilingual-matters.com]

Title: Researching Language in Superdiverse Urban Contexts
Subtitle: Exploring Methodological and Theoretical Concepts
Series Title: Researching Multilingually

Publication Year: 2020
Publisher: Multilingual Matters
	   http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

Book URL: http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?isb=9781788926454

Editor: Clare Mar-Molinero

Hardback: ISBN:  9781788926461 Pages: 240 Price: U.S. $ 149.95
Hardback: ISBN:  9781788926461 Pages: 240 Price: U.K. £ 109.95
Paperback: ISBN:  9781788926454 Pages: 240 Price: U.S. $ 49.95
Paperback: ISBN:  9781788926454 Pages: 240 Price: U.K. £ 34.95

Abstract:

This book contributes to understanding research approaches for studying
multilingualism in the context of contemporary superdiversity, in environments
that are being dramatically transformed by transnational migration and
movement of peoples. It explores language in urban contexts: the city as a
site for experimentation and creativity in language practices. This involves
considering theoretical frameworks in which to examine these practices, but
above all, it focuses on how we do, or could do, research into these language
practices and their users. What methodologies are we using to understand urban
linguistic contexts? What do we want to learn? The chapters explore complex
and challenging situations, capturing the evolution of new forms of language
practice and changing attitudes to language in the city.

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=147153