31.2951, Confs: History of Linguistics/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 30 16:01:08 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2951. Wed Sep 30 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2951, Confs: History of Linguistics/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 12:00:37
From: Andrew Linn [a.linn at westminster.ac.uk]
Subject: Henry Sweet Society for the History of Linguistic Ideas Colloquium

Henry Sweet Society for the History of Linguistic Ideas Colloquium
Short Title: HSS

Date: 23-Oct-2020 - 23-Oct-2020
Location: London (Online), United Kingdom
Contact: Andrew Linn
Contact Email: a.linn at westminster.ac.uk
Meeting URL: https://www.henrysweet.org/news

Linguistic Field(s): History of Linguistics

Meeting Description:

We are delighted to announce that we will be holding a short online colloquium
on Friday 23 October 2020 (see timetable below). We will also hold our
(famously short) Annual General Meeting at this time and would be very
grateful for your attendance at this too.

The colloquium will take place via Zoom and we will send a link to registered
participants closer to the time. All are welcome to attend and attendance is
free of charge.

Please register by contacting Mariane Bignotto (M.Bignotto1 at westminster.ac.uk)
by Friday 09 October.

We hope that we will be in a position to organise a live day-long event in
London in Spring 2021, but this will naturally depend on the health
guidelines.

Program Information:

Provisional timetable

1200      High-Prestige and Low-Prestige Languages in 19th-Century Comparative
Philology (Floris Solleveld, KU Leuven, BELGIUM)

1230      Dialogues and Sentences in 19th-Century Multilingual Conversation
Guides: Filiation, Updating and Innovation (Monica Lupetti & Marco E.L. Guidi,
Università di Pisa, ITALY)

1300      The Confessional Sciences: Scientific Lexicography and Sexology in
the Oxford English Dictionary (Stephen Turton, University of Oxford, UK)

1330      Lunch break

1400      The Leslie Seiffert Lecture — Colonial knowledge, postcolonial
legacies: Grierson’s Linguistic Survey of India 1903-1928 (Prof. Javed Majeed,
King’s College London, UK)

1430      Annual General Meeting of the Henry Sweet Society