32.1403, Disc: Code-Switching in Context: English in Korean Hip Hop

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 21 02:38:06 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1403. Tue Apr 20 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1403, Disc: Code-Switching in Context: English in Korean Hip Hop

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 22:37:41
From: Valentina Saavedra [vs103 at duke.edu]

Code-switching, the practice of alternating between two or more languages, has
become a popular topic of study and discussion, focusing mostly on spontaneous
and organic instances of code-switching. However, one sub-group in this
massive topic that deserves more attention is the instances when switching
from one language to another is planned and intentional. This is seen
specifically in music, where artists often change languages in their lyrics
for specific purposes.
 Korean popular music, or K-POP, and Korean hip hop, or K-HIPHOP, commonly
employs code-switching. Going from Korean to English is a premeditated act
that is not done without purpose. I will explore the reasons for the movement
from the Korean language to the English language, and vice-versa, as well as
exploring Korean hip hop’s relationship with subculture and authenticity. I
plan on analyzing the origins of Korean hip hop music and the evolution of the
genre through the lyrics from the hip hop group DynamicDuo, which was both
popular at the inception of Korean hip hop and continues to be popular present
day (2020).
 I will be doing this by studying the lyrics of songs from their first album
“My World” and “Ring My Bell”, and songs from their most recent releases,
“Blue” and “How You Doin?”. I also plan on analyzing one specific Korean Hip
Hop artist named Sik-k, who code-switches frequently in his music. I will be
doing this by studying lyrics to some of his most popular songs, including
“Somebody Else” and “Ring Ring.”
 Through this analysis, I would like to emphasize three facets of
code-switching in Korean hip hop. First, code-switching in Korean hip hop is
fundamentally different from how code-switching is used in KPOP. Second, the
functions that code-switching serve are more complex and intertwined than
previous scholars have alluded. Third, code-switching patterns in this genre
has changed over time, which in turn has changed the meanings English lyrics
carry in the music.

Subject Language(s): Korean (kor)