32.1468, Calls: Applied Ling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 28 20:07:12 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1468. Tue Apr 27 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1468, Calls: Applied Ling/Online

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 15:01:30
From: Nikiforos Pittaras [pittarasnikif at iit.demokritos.gr]
Subject: 3rd Financial Narrative Processing Workshop

Full Title: 3rd Financial Narrative Processing Workshop
Short Title: FNP 2021

Date: 15-Sep-2021 - 16-Sep-2021
Location: Lancaster University and Yseop (Online), United Kingdom
Contact Person: Mahmoud El Haj
Meeting Email: m.el-haj at lancaster.ac.uk
Web Site: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/cfie/fnp2021/

Call Deadline: 01-Jul-2021

Meeting Description:

To be held at Lancaster University as a Data Science Institute event. This
year we are running a 2 day free event sponsored and funded by the Data
Science Institute (DSI) at Lancaster University and Yseop.com. This is an
international gathering of researchers, practitioners and keynote speakers
working on Financial Narratives and Financial NLP from computing, accounting &
finance and linguistics. This will be an online event with no registration
fees.

Following the success of the 1st Joint Workshop on Financial Narrative
Processing and MultiLing Financial Summarisation (FNP-FNS 2020), the First FNP
2018 at LREC’18 in Japan, the Second FNP 2019 at NoDaLiDa 2019 in Finland and
as well as the Multiling 2019 Financial narrative Summarisation task at RANLP
in Bulgaria, we have had a great deal of positive feedback and interest in
continuing the development of the financial narrative processing field,
especially from our shared task participants.

The 1st FNP-FNS workshop at COLING 2020 was a great success. We ran 3
different shared tasks focusing on text summarisation, structure detection and
causal sentence detection, namely FNS, FinToc and FinCausal shared tasks
respectively. The shared tasks attracted more than 100 teams from different
universities and organisations around the globe. The shared tasks resulted in
the first large scale experimental results and state of the art methods
applied mainly to financial data. This shows the importance and growth of this
field.

Call for Submissions:

EasyChair Submission URL: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fnp2021

We invite abstract submissions on topics that include, but are not limited to,
the following:
 - Applying core technologies on financial narratives: morphological analysis,
disambiguation, tokenization, POS tagging, named entity recognition, chunking,
parsing, semantic role labelling, sentiment analysis, document quality and
advanced readability metrics etc.

 - Using NLP to detect misreporting in relation to diversity and wellbeing on
issues related to gender, ethnicity, women at work as well as employee mental
health and stability.

 - Financial narratives resources: dictionaries, annotated data, tools and
technologies etc.

 - Given the international nature of the conference, we particularly welcome
FNP papers reporting non- English and multilingual research, describing the
different regulatory regimes within which companies operate internationally.

 - Summarisation across domains and sources that are related to finance (e.g.
company blogs, product reviews, market briefs, etc.), this includes financial
multilingual and cross-lingual summarisation using single-document
summarisation, multi-document summarisation, summarisation evaluation,
headline generation, cross-domain/cross-topic summarisation.

We invite abstracts describing original, completed or ongoing, unpublished
research. We welcome abstract submissions, in theory, methodology, as well as
resources and applications in all areas related to Financial Natural Language
Processing and Financial Text Analysis. We also welcome abstract submissions
on negative results as well as submissions highlighting challenges faced in
industrial or academic settings. Abstract should be 1 page long and a maximum
of 500 words. In your abstract please explain the topic you are looking
forward to present, is it a complete, ongoing or future work, what audience
are you targeting (e.g. NLP, Summarisation, Accounting and Finance …etc) and
findings and conclusions that emerged from your work. Abstracts must be
submitted through the EasyChair submission system and will be reviewed by the
Programme Committee. All submissions will be reviewed on the basis of both
individual criteria and global criteria.

Authors of accepted abstracts will be asked to submit a 4-8 paper describing
their work in details including methodologies, results and findings. All
accepted papers will be published in an open access and indexed proceedings.
The workshop is free to attend and no registration fees are required.

We also introduce 3 shared tasks as follows:
1) Financial summarisation (FNS 2021),
2) Financial Reports structure detection (FinTOC 2021),
3) Causality Identification in Financial documents (FinCausal 2021).
Links to shared tasks can be found on:
http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/cfie/shared-tasks/

AWARDS AND PRIZES:
The winning team from each shared task will receive an achievement certificate
and a money prize worth US$650. Each team will also be given the chance to
present their work at the workshop.

Important Dates:
Abstracts submission deadline: 1 July 2021
Abstracts notification of acceptance: 15 July 2021
Shared task results & winning teams: 15 August 2021
Workshop and shared task dates: 15 September 2021