32.1484, Calls: Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Acq, Ling Theories/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 29 13:58:15 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1484. Thu Apr 29 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1484, Calls: Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Acq, Ling Theories/Online

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 09:57:26
From: Suyoung Bae [suyoungbae03 at gmail.com]
Subject: 23rd Seoul International Conference on Generative Grammar

Full Title: 23rd Seoul International Conference on Generative Grammar
Short Title: SICOGG23

Date: 11-Aug-2021 - 13-Aug-2021
Location: Online, Korea, South
Contact Person: Michael Barrie
Meeting Email: mikebarrie at sogang.ac.kr
Web Site: http://www.kggc.org

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories

Call Deadline: 10-Jun-2021

Meeting Description:

The 23rd Seoul International Conference on Generative Grammar (SICOGG 23) will
take place from August 11 through Friday, August 13, 2021. The conference will
be hosted by the Korean Generative Grammar Circle. SICOGG 23 will consist of a
general session, a special session and a series of lectures by the keynote
speaker. The main theme of the general session is ‘Comparative Approaches to
the Syntax-Semantics Interface’. The confirmed invited speakers are as
follows:

Keynote speaker:
Professor Gillian Ramchand (University of Tromsø)

Invited speakers:
Professor Kyle Rawlins (Johns Hopkins University)
Professor Amy Rose Deal (UC Berkeley)
Professor Michelle Yuan (UC San Diego)

Special Session Speaker:
Professor Lisa Matthewson (University of British Columbia)

Call for Papers:

General Session:
Equal consideration will be given to papers from all areas of generative
grammar, which may include syntactic theory, the syntax-semantics interface,
the syntax-morphology interface, the syntax-phonology interface, syntactic
acquisition, and any other syntax-related interests. Applicants for
oral/poster presentations in the general session must submit their abstracts
by June 10, 2021.

Special Session:
The special session will feature an invited talk by Professor Lisa Matthewson
(University of British Columbia). Generative linguistics has long relied on
introspection in the collection of linguistic data. While introspection has
given rise to robust generalizations (Sprouse et al. 2013; Sprouse and Almeida
2017), the role of context in judgement acceptability tasks has been shown to
be an important factor in the elicitation of semantic judgements (Matthewson
2004; Tonhauser and Matthewson 2016; Bochnak and Matthewson 2020). Conflicting
judgements can arise when two people have differing contexts in mind,
highlighting the need to control for context during data collection. To this
end, we invite submissions that tackle the following questions in methodology.
We also invite submissions that have implemented this kind of methodology.
- How do we present a context to a speaker when eliciting judgements?
 - How can this methodology be implemented when the linguist does research on
their own language?
- How can we control for context in large-scale experimental tasks, where
speakers may have a long list of sentences (and control sentences) to
evaluate?
- How can we best report our methodology in our research to enable faithful
replication of our work?
- Is it best to work with speakers one-on-one or in a large group? Are certain
tasks better suited to one or the other?
- How can we adapt picture tasks to our own research (Bruening 2009;
Matthewson and Burton 2015)?

Abstract Guidelines Submission:
Abstracts should be submitted using the EasyAbs service of the LINGUIST List.
All you need to do is visit: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/SICOGG23 and
click on Abstract Submission. Then, follow the online guidelines to upload
your abstract in either the .pdf or .doc format. Note, however, that the .doc
format is acceptable only if the abstract contains no special fonts or
diagrams. Only electronic submissions through the aforementioned link will be
taken into consideration. Abstracts should be anonymous and may not exceed 2
pages (A4/US letter), including examples (embedded within the text) and
references, with 2.54 cm (1 inch) margin on all four sides and should employ
the font Times New Roman 12 pts. Submissions are limited to a maximum of one
individual and one joint abstract per author, or two joint abstracts per
author. Please indicate whether the submitted work is proposed for a poster,
an oral presentation, or either. Abstracts should be submitted no later than
June 10 (Thursday), 2021. Authors will be notified of acceptance or rejection
on or after June 24 (Thursday), 2021. Each speaker will be allotted 20 minutes
for oral presentation and 10 minutes for discussion.

Proceedings Paper Submission:
Accepted papers will be published in The Proceedings of the 23rd Seoul
International Conference on Generative Grammar, which will be distributed to
the conference participants. All presenters will be asked to provide their
paper in both .pdf and .doc formats by July 31, 2021. The text should be
single-spaced and the general page limit is 20 pages including appendices and
references.

Contact Information:
All information about the conference will be available at http://www.kggc.org.
Participants are asked to check this site to keep up to date regarding
possible alterations and changes. Inquiries concerning abstract submission and
other queries about the conference should be sent to Michael Barrie at
mikebarrie at sogang.ac.kr

Important Dates:
Abstract submission deadline: June 10, 2021
Review result notification: June 24, 2021
Proceedings paper submission deadline: July 31, 2021
Conference dates: August 11 through August 13, 2021