32.2628, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Language Engineer, Amazon

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 12 19:00:56 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2628. Thu Aug 12 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2628, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Language Engineer, Amazon

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:00:18
From: Eva Kolarova [ekkolar at amazon.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology: Language Engineer, Amazon, Cambridge, United Kingdom

University or Organization: Amazon
Department: TTS (Text-to-Speech)
Job Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.amazon.science/
Job Title: TTS Language Engineer - English / Italian / Spanish / Hindi / Japanese
Job Rank: Language Engineer; Other

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Do you want to work on one of the coolest and most innovative pieces of
technology in recent years? Come join us! We're the Text to Speech (TTS) team
at Amazon. We build best-in-class TTS solutions and create magical experiences
on Amazon's growing portfolio of speech products.

We are looking for a passionate, talented, and technology-savvy language
engineer to help build an industry-leading portfolio of TTS voices grounded on
the most recent advances in speech and language technology. Our mission is to
push the envelope in Text-to-Speech (TTS) in order to provide the
best-possible experience for our customers. Your role is to leverage your
strong background in linguistics and language technology to help build the
next generation of our synthetic voices used by millions of customers every
day. In this role, you will be a key member in new feature development.

As a TTS Language Engineer you will work alongside audio engineers,
researchers, and software developers who are subject matter experts in speech
synthesis and related fields. You will actively collaborate with program
managers to deliver new voice products to Amazon customers on international
scale. You will be working on a variety of tasks — from NLP and ML to
linguistics as it relates to TTS, all to create new voices and experiences.
You will bootstrap and test new functionalities, analyze system performance
and identify areas for improvement. You will collaborate with other language
engineers and data associates in data collection and quality evaluation.

The ideal candidate will be familiar with speech and text processing
techniques, with solid knowledge of linguistics or phonetics. We are
particularly interested in candidates with experience in training and
evaluation of machine learning and deep learning models. The successful
candidates will link customer requirements to high-quality speech processing
components and lead the development process in a cross-functional team.

Basic Qualifications:
 - Native or near-native fluency in any of the following: English, Italian,
Spanish, Hindi, Japanese
 - Undergraduate degree in Computational Linguistics, Speech Sciences,
Linguistics, or a related field
 - Knowledge of machine learning and commonly used ML packages and libraries
 - Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby, Bash)
 - Knowledge of phonetics/phonology and ability to create/fix phonetic
transcriptions and experience with regular expressions
 - Working proficiency in English
 - Knowledge of Unix/Linux command line tools
 - Excellent written and spoken communication skills

Preferred Qualifications:
 - Native or near-native fluency in English
 - PhD in Computational Linguistics (or equivalent field with computational
emphasis); alternatively, 5 years’ experience in the field
 - Experience with machine learning or building machine/deep learning models
 - Hands-on experience working with NLP or Speech Processing
 - Experience investigating the feasibility of applying scientific principles
and concepts to business problems and products
 - Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new
technologies related to foreign languages, linguistics, phonetics, phonology
and language technology
 - Practical knowledge of version control systems (e.g. Git) and agile
development
 - Feeling comfortable and motivated when working in a fast paced, highly
collaborative, dynamic work environment

Submit your application via the application link below or alternatively get in
touch by email to Eva Kolarova, Technical Recruiter, via the contact
information below.

Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1623305/tts-language-engineer
Contact Information:
	Miss Eva Kolarova