32.2708, FYI: Intercultural Skills in Action (University of Michigan Press)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 20 03:11:24 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2708. Thu Aug 19 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2708, FYI: Intercultural Skills in Action (University of Michigan Press)

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 23:10:37
From: Darren LaScotte [lascotte at umn.edu]

Dear Colleagues,

We are excited to share that our textbook "Intercultural Skills in Action: An
International Student's Guide to College and University Life in the U.S."
(University of Michigan Press, 2021) is available online now
(https://www.press.umich.edu/11523716/intercultural_skills_in_action).

About the book:

This textbook is designed to create meaningful opportunities for students to
reflect on and practice intercultural skills in ways that are relatable in
their daily lives and that can lead to a more satisfying U.S. academic
experience.

Each unit opens with a discovery activity that serves as a springboard for the
unit and introduces the topic in an engaging way. Chapters feature academic
content that expands knowledge of intercultural skills, plus opportunities for
students to pause and reflect on how to apply what they are learning to their
own intercultural experiences. The activities ask students to respond with
short written reflections and practice oral skills through discussion in pairs
and small groups. Each unit closes with an activity that requires students to
use higher-order thinking skills to create, evaluate, and/or analyze cultural
information gathered from college and university settings in the form of
surveys, interviews, observations, or internet research and then report on
what they have learned.

The intended audiences for this book are international students studying in
IEPs, in university bridge or pathway programs, or at colleges and
universities in the United States. It may also be used by new-student
orientation programs or by student services offices that provide intercultural
training for students, staff, and faculty who work with international
students.

We are sharing a promotional discount if you're interested in getting a copy
and/or sharing to your professional networks. Use code "UMF21" to receive 30%
off!

Please feel free to contact any of us if you have any questions. We hope that
you will find this textbook helpful and look forward to your reviews!

Sincerely,
Darren LaScotte & Bethany Peters