32.2776, Jobs: Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics: Learning Scientist, Speech and Language, Duolingo

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 30 20:29:57 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2776. Mon Aug 30 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2776, Jobs: Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics: Learning Scientist, Speech and Language, Duolingo

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:28:51
From: Bozena Pajak [bozena at duolingo.com]
Subject: Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics: Learning Scientist, Speech and Language, Duolingo, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

University or Organization: Duolingo
Department: Learning and Curriculum
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Web Address: https://www.duolingo.com/
Job Title: Learning Scientist, Speech and Language
Job Rank: Scientist

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics

Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make
it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you
come in!

Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with
over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily.
Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with
Duolingo ABC (https://www.duolingo.com/abc) and English proficiency testing
with the Duolingo English Test (https://englishtest.duolingo.com/home).

We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and
finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work,
limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds.
Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!

We are looking for a speech and language researcher with expertise in
non-native speech perception & production and phonetic category learning. At
Duolingo, you will have an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge in a
fast-paced, collaborative environment, where you see the immediate impact of
your work on millions of learners worldwide.

You Will...
 - Collaborate with team members across different roles on improving existing
learning-focused product features or developing new ones, especially ones for
training second language pronunciation
 - Contribute a learning science perspective by sharing with the team relevant
research findings and translating them into concrete ideas that can be applied
to Duolingo products
 - Provide hands-on support with any ad hoc tasks that would benefit from a
learning-expert perspective, such as UX research or analyses of in-app
experiment data
 - Ensure regular communication and collaboration with curriculum designers
and content developers on other teams, bringing their insights and experience
to product development

You Have...
 - Research expertise. You are well-versed in learning science research, and
especially non-native speech perception and production, phonetic category
learning, and pronunciation training.
 - Creativity and applied focus. You are passionate about solving practical
problems, and can think creatively about how to apply your knowledge in the
context of developing an engaging educational app.
 - Data analysis skills. You have strong skills in data analysis and are
comfortable using tools such as R, Python, or SQL.
 - Language knowledge. You know at least one language other than English.
 - Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication
skills.

Requirements:
 - Ph.D. in linguistics, cognitive psychology, applied linguistics, or a
related field
 - Ability to work full-time from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA

Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
 - Experience working in industry
 - Passion for language learning and knowledge of multiple languages

Please click on the application link below for more information and to apply.

Web Address for Applications: https://boards.greenhouse.io/duolingo/jobs/5490683002
Contact Information:
	Dr Bozena Pajak
	Email: bozena at duolingo.com