32.3867, FYI: onthly Online ILFC Seminar: Interactions between Formal and Computational Linguistics

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 8 23:14:29 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3867. Wed Dec 08 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3867, FYI: onthly Online ILFC Seminar: Interactions between Formal and Computational Linguistics

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 18:14:05
From: Timothée Bernard [timothee.bernard at u-paris.fr]

GdR LIFT is happy to announce the two forthcoming sessions of the ILFC seminar
on the interactions between formal and computational linguistics:

 2021/12/14 17:00-18:00 UTC+1: Lisa Bylinina (Bookarang, Netherlands)
 Title: Polarity in multilingual language models
 Abstract: The space of natural languages is constrained by various
interactions between linguistic phenomena. In this talk, I will focus on one
particular type of such interaction, in which logical properties of a context
constrain the distribution of negative polarity items (NPIs), like English
‘any’. Correlational — and possibly, causal — interaction between logical
monotonicity and NPI distribution has been observed for some NPIs in some
languages for some contexts, with the help of theoretical, psycholinguistic
and computational tools. How general is this relation across languages? How
inferable is it from just textual data? What kind of generalization — if any —
about NPI distribution would a massively multilingual speaker form, and what
kind of causal structure would guide such speaker’s intuition? Humans speaking
100+ languages natively are hard to find — but we do have multilingual
language models. I will report experiments in which we study NPIs in four
languages (English, French, Russian and Turkish) in two pre-trained models —
multilingual BERT and XLM-RoBERTa. We evaluate the models’ recognition of
polarity-sensitivity and its cross-lingual generality. Further, using the
artificial language learning paradigm, we look for the connection between
semantic profiles of tokens and their ability to license NPIs. We find partial
evidence for such connection.
 (joint work with Alexey Tikhonov)

 2022/01/18 17:00-18:00 UTC+1: Johan Bos (Rijksuniversiteit Groningen)
 Title: [TBA]
 Abstract: [TBA]

The seminar is held on Zoom. To attend the seminar and get updates, please
register to be on our mailing list:
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/subscribe/seminaire_ilfc

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics