32.402, Calls: Applied Ling, Comp Ling, Disc Analys, Socioling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 2 16:26:07 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-402. Tue Feb 02 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.402, Calls: Applied Ling, Comp Ling, Disc Analys, Socioling/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 11:25:32
From: Kim Grego [kim.grego at unimi.it]
Subject: Discriminaging. Discourses of health discrimination based on age

Full Title: Discriminaging. Discourses of health discrimination based on age
Short Title: Discriminaging COMET 2021

Date: 28-Jun-2021 - 30-Jun-2021
Location: Como / Online, Italy
Contact Person: Alessandra Vicentini
Meeting Email: alessandra.vicentini at uninsubria.it
Web Site: https://www.uninsubria.eu/comet2021

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 14-Feb-2021

Meeting Description:

The COMET conference aims to bring together scholars from different
disciplinary backgrounds involving various healthcare specialties and the
human and social sciences. A special emphasis is on the dissemination of
ongoing research in language/discourse/communication studies in relation to
healthcare education, patient participation and professional ethics.

This panel intends to bring together research on how people can and are
discriminated in the health and medical fields based on their age, and how
such discrimination emerges linguistically from the discourse(s) expressing or
surrounding it. Ages which see frequent and common singling out, for both
objective and subjective reasons, are the old and the younger (children,
adolescents) periods in life. However, this call is open to investigations in
any other stages that may be subject to discrimination, including but not
limited to the so-called middle age, the adult age and other not-differently
defined ages, which are not normally considered socially weak moments in a
person’s life but which, as such, are ignored and therefore automatically
suffer from exclusion from consideration. Possible themes are: barriers in
healthcare based on age, ageism and (health)care, ageism in medicine, ethical
aspects of ageism, age bias and (health)care. The research perspectives,
topics and themes will have to be linguistic or mixing linguistics with other
disciplines. Multidisciplinary, innovative and critical approaches are
particularly welcome.

Call for Papers:

Please send your proposal for this panel only by email to both
kim.grego at unimi.it and alessandra.vicentini at uninsubria.it by 14 February 2021.

A selection of the papers accepted for and presented at the panel will be
published as a special issue, ed. by Kim Grego and Alessandra Vicentini, in
the Journal of Language and Discrimination 1(2022), Editors-in-chief Prof. Dr
M. Demata and N. Knoblock. Manuscripts will have to be handed in by 10
September 2021.

Please visit the conference website, https://www.uninsubria.eu/comet2021 for
further details regarding submission guidelines or for additional information
about the conference.

Please note, the conference will take place online. However, as we cannot
foresee what is going to happen over the next few months, we are still working
on a blended option (both remote and in-person participation). We will monitor
the evolution of the global pandemic and decide accordingly. Further details
will be provided as soon as possible. We strongly believe that the goal of
COMET 2021 is to foster a scholarly network despite the global pandemic that
keeps us physically apart.