32.441, Summer Schools: Corpus Linguistics Summer School (University of Birmingham) / Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 4 23:23:25 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-441. Thu Feb 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.441, Summer Schools:  Corpus Linguistics Summer School (University of Birmingham) / Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 18:21:05
From: Akira Murakami [clsummerschool at contacts.bham.ac.uk]

Corpus Linguistics Summer School (University of Birmingham)

Host Institution: University of Birmingham
Website: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/edacs/departments/englishlanguage/events/2021/corpus-linguistics-summer-school-2021.aspx

Dates: 05-Jul-2021 - 08-Jul-2021
Location: Online, Online, United Kingdom

Focus: Our Corpus Linguistics Summer School aims to equip participants with critical expertise in both theory and practice of corpus-based linguistic research
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum

The Centre for Corpus Research at the University of Birmingham is pleased to
announce that our Corpus Linguistics Summer School will take place fully
online this year on 5-8 July, 2021.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/edacs/departments/englishlanguage/events/
2021/corpus-linguistics-summer-school-2021.aspx

Attendance is open to all on a first-come-first-served basis upon completion
of the registration process (including payment) through the university’s
online shop linked from the above website.

Registration fee: £80

Speakers:
This year, our participants will have the pleasure to hear contributions by
Laurence Anthony (Waseda University), Bethany Gray (Iowa State University),
and members of our local staff of corpus linguistics, including Jason
Grafmiller, Jack Grieve, Nicholas Groom, Sten Hansson, Karen McAuliffe,
Michaela Mahlberg, Petar Milin, Akira Murakami, Ruth Page, Adam Schembri, Paul
Thompson, and Bodo Winter, among others. Dagmar Divjak will be delivering the
annual Sinclair Lecture during the Summer School.

Programme:
Our Corpus Linguistics Summer School aims to equip participants with critical
expertise in both theory and practice of corpus-based linguistic research.
Over the course of four days, participants will be actively involved in two
kinds of sessions. First, hands-on sessions will put the emphasis on the
learning of practical skills for the purpose of extracting and analysing
corpus data of various kinds, and the application of this knowledge to
specific research projects. Second, participants will also learn about current
corpus-based research.

Topics of sessions will include (non-exhaustively):
- Corpus tools and specialized software
- Data exploration
- Creating a custom corpus
- Phraseology
- Introduction to R and tidyverse
- Web scraping with R
- Statistics in corpus linguistics
- Sign language corpora
- Corpora and legal research

For more information and registration, please visit the website below:
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/edacs/departments/englishlanguage/events/
2021/corpus-linguistics-summer-school-2021.aspx

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

Registration: 03-Feb-2021 to 28-Jun-2021

Contact Person: Akira Murakami
                Email: clsummerschool at contacts.bham.ac.uk

Registration Instructions: