32.501, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Pragmatics, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 9 23:21:00 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-501. Tue Feb 09 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.501, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Pragmatics, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 18:20:07
From: Alice Cesbron [gender.challenge at uni-greifswald.de]
Subject: #GenderChallenge – Exploring Gender Identities Online

Full Title: #GenderChallenge – Exploring Gender Identities Online
Short Title: #GenderChallenge21

Date: 18-Jul-2021 - 21-Jul-2021
Location: Online (Greifswald & Konstanz), Germany
Contact Person: Morana Lukač
Meeting Email: morana.lukac at uni-greifswald.de
Web Site: https://easychair.org/cfp/GenderChallenge21

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2021

Meeting Description:

Social media platforms have opened up spaces for users to enact gender
identities as well as engage in meta-discourse on gender in online
environments. This has made them particularly interesting as sites for
researchers studying gendered linguistic patterns within sociolinguistics, as
well as those interested in the varied constructions of gender identities from
the perspectives of pragmatics, discourse studies, and applied linguistics.
This conference aims to contribute to a wider conversation on the ways in
which social media research may be integral to advancing our understanding of
the linguistic performances of gender.

The conference will be preceded by a one-day workshop, which will include two
hands-on sessions on linguistic analyses of gender identity representation
online and a round-table discussion on the topic ‘Rethinking Gender’.

Confirmed speakers:
Dr Daria Dayter, University of Basel
Dr Christian Ilbury, University of Suffolk
Prof Dr Veronika Koller, Lancaster University
Dr Jai MacKenzie, University of Nottingham
Dr Sofia Rüdiger, University of Bayreuth

Second Call for Papers:

This conference aims to contribute to a wider conversation on the ways in
which social media research may be integral to advancing our understanding of
the linguistic performances of gender. We look forward to participation from
conference attendees, including any insights on methodological approaches,
ethical considerations involved in studying gender and/or social media
landscapes or findings that challenge previous notions of gender and
gender-focused research. The call does not address only linguists, but also
those working on similar topics in related fields of media studies, sociology,
(digital) ethnography, education, psychology and cultural studies.

We especially encourage submissions from early-career researchers.

Presentations may be submitted via EasyChair
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=genderchallenge21) in two formats:

1. A 10-15-minute oral presentation. Abstracts should not exceed 300 words
(excluding references) and should be anonymised. Abstracts should include a
clear description of your method, data, and (preliminary) findings.

2. A 3-minute, 3-slide lightning talk presentation. In line with the theme of
the conference, we also invite abstracts that should be no longer than 280
characters (excluding references). The tweet-like submissions can include, for
example, a research pitch, a short study presentation, or preliminary insights
from research in progress. We particularly encourage students and early-career
researchers to present their research projects in this format.

Authors may submit a maximum of two abstracts, but no more than one as a
single or first author.

The conference is open to all attendees free of charge.

Important dates:
Deadline for submitting abstracts 31 March
Notification of acceptance 30 April
Registration opens 1 May
Pre-conference workshop and round-table discussion 18 July
Conference 19–20 July

Conference format:
The reference will be the local time (CET). 10-15-minute presentations will be
made available in advance, giving attendees the opportunity to view them on
their own time while providing background for live Q&A sessions on the
conference days. Our pre-conference workshops, plenary talks, Q&A sessions,
and lightning talk presentations will take place synchronously.

We plan to publish a selection of accepted papers in the proceedings of the
conference.
The conference is open to all attendees free of charge.

A web version of the Call is available on Easychair
https://easychair.org/cfp/GenderChallenge21 .
Please don’t hesitate to contact us! gender.challenge at uni-greifswald.de