32.521, Confs: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Disc Analys, Ling & Lit, Socioling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 11 15:42:27 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-521. Thu Feb 11 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.521, Confs: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Disc Analys, Ling & Lit, Socioling/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:42:12
From: Francis Hult [fmhult at umbc.edu]
Subject: Free Online Symposium - Language and Migration | Experience and Memory

Free Online Symposium - Language and Migration | Experience and Memory

Date: 19-Apr-2021 - 01-May-2021
Location: Online, USA
Contact: Sam Evans
Contact Email: same at princeton.edu
Meeting URL: https://migration.princeton.edu/symposium

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

This interdisciplinary symposium will convene humanists and social scientists,
field-workers and policy-makers, artists and writers, to think together about
migrants as resourceful users, interpreters, and creators of language.

Language is a vital, but underexplored, factor in the lives of migrants,
immigrants and refugees. It has a direct impact on the experiences and choices
of individuals displaced by war, terror, or natural disasters and the
decisions made by agents who provide (or fail to provide) relief, services,
and status. Distilled through memory, it shapes the fictions, poems, memoirs,
films and song lyrics in which migrants render loss and displacement,
integration and discovery, the translation of history and culture, and the
trials of identity.

The symposium will take place online between Monday, April 19 and Saturday May
1, 2021.

Special events: Our symposium will feature two keynote speakers: Prof. Sarah
Dryden-Peterson of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, who will open our
exchange with a lecture on Monday April 19; and Prof. Viet Thanh Nguyen, Aerol
Arnold Professor of English, University of Southern California, and winner of
the Pulitzer Prize for The Sympathizer, who will close the proceedings with a
lecture on Saturday, May 1. On Friday evening, April 30, we are delighted to
host a reading by Jhumpa Lahiri, Yiyun Li and Aleksandar Hemon, three
distinguished members of Princeton’s Creative Writing faculty.

Program Information:

The full program can be accessed here:
https://migration.princeton.edu/symposium/program

Our primary sponsors are the Migration Lab of the Princeton Institute for
International and Regional Studies, and the Study Group for Language and the
United Nations. We’d like to acknowledge additional support from the Center
for Applied Linguistics, the Esperantic Studies Foundation, the Centre for
Research and Documentation on World Language Problems, and Birkbeck,
University of London. At Princeton, generous support has also come from the
Lewis Center, the Humanities Council, the Department of English, the
Department of Comparative Literature, The Department of African-American
Studies, and the University Center for Human Values.