32.558, Summer Schools: Elizabeth Closs Traugott: A constructional perspective on language / Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 13 18:50:51 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-558. Sat Feb 13 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.558, Summer Schools:  Elizabeth Closs Traugott: A constructional perspective on language / Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 13:50:45
From: Associação Brasileira de Linguística [abralin at abralin.org]

Elizabeth Closs Traugott: A constructional perspective on language

Host Institution:
Website: https://ead.abralin.org/

Dates: 01-Mar-2021 - 31-May-2021
Location: Online, https://ead.abralin.org/, Brazil

Focus: Language change; sociolinguistics; grammaticalization
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum

Starting on Mar 01 2021 @ 6PM (UTC): A constructional perspective on language
change
A free online course with Elizabeth Closs Traugott

Recently there has been great interest in constructional approaches to change,
e.g. Bergs and Diewald (2008), Traugott and Trousdale (2013) and Barðdal et
al. (2015). In this course, I discuss and update the perspective called
“constructionalization” developed in Traugott and Trousdale, using examples
from the history of English. Constructionalization is an approach to
morphosyntactic change such as the development of grammatical expressions
(e.g. be going to), clausal structures (e.g. ditransitive She gave me a book)
and idioms (e.g. Weird is the new cool). I revisit definitions of
“constructionalization” and “constructional changes”, and discuss the
complementarity of constructionalization and grammaticalization approaches to
language change (see Coussé et al. 2018).

Two case studies illustrate the differences. One is an account of the
development of the semi-modals I’d better/rather/sooner, the other an account
of the history of “dative” and “benefactive” alternations as in I gave her a
book/I gave a book to her and I built her a house/I built a house for her. I
end with discussion of the roles of subjectification and intersubjectification
in constructionalization, using the example of the development of discourse
markers like by the way.

For more information about the course, access our e-learning platform:
https://ead.abralin.org.

Registration: 11-Feb-2021 to 28-Feb-2021

Contact Person:  Abralin
                Email: abralin at abralin.org

Registration Instructions: