32.564, Calls: Phonology/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 16 00:53:04 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-564. Mon Feb 15 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.564, Calls: Phonology/Poland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 19:52:31
From: Cormac Anderson [tpd at langsci-press.org]
Subject: Phonological diversity matters: rarities in phonology

Full Title: Phonological diversity matters: rarities in phonology

Date: 16-Sep-2021 - 17-Sep-2021
Location: Poznań, Poland
Contact Person: Cormac Anderson
Meeting Email: tpd at langsci-press.org

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology

Call Deadline: 09-Apr-2021

Meeting Description:

The patterns of sounds of the world's languages are many and varied. Although
the human articulatory, auditory, and perceptual apparatus limits and shapes
the ways in which languages harness sound to convey meaning, considerable
diversity can be observed in phonological systems cross-linguistically. We
believe that this diversity matters and welcome submissions for a workshop
focused on rarities in phonology.

Rare phenomena play a key role in forming and challenging linguistic theory.
In formal approaches, the identification of rare phenomena has been one of the
primary means of expanding and modifying the theoretical acquis. While
linguistic typology has often worked rather with larger cross linguistic
samples, a focus on rare phenomena has emerged since the beginning of this
millennium (Plank 2000; Simon & Wiese 2011; Wohlgemuth & Cysouw 2010a, 2010b;
Golovko et al. 2015).

Rarities can be ignored by linguistic theory, be reanalysed as regular, or be
incorporated by changing the theory (Simon & Wiese 2011). Within phonology, a
number of thematic studies taking the third approach have recently appeared,
addressing topics as diverse as vertical vowel systems (Anderson 2016),
voiceless sonorants (Blevins 2018) or obstruent devoicing (Blevins et al.
2020), non-canonical word prosody (Kuznetsova 2018), highly complex syllable
structure (Easterday 2019), and metathesis (Edwards 2019). This work can be
seen in the context of an expansion of research on the evolutionary aspects of
both universals and rarities, with attempts to explain typical pathways of
emergence or disappearance (e.g. Blevins 2004, 2015; Round 2019).

Call for Papers:

For this workshop, we invite submissions for papers investigating synchronic
and diachronic rarities in phonology. These might include individual studies
or thematic surveys of specific sounds, features, systems, structures, or
phenomena. Proposals focusing on synchronic rarities in a single language will
be considered, but a broad typological or evolutionary perspective is
preferred.

The diversity of phonological patterns has been matched by the multitude of
different ways linguists have attempted to account for them. Some of these
ways may also be rare and interesting. For this reason, we aim to see a
variety of theoretical frameworks represented at the workshop and welcome also
submissions that focus on rare types of phonological analysis.

We recognise that, for various reasons, rarities are often concentrated in
lesser-studied languages (Mithun 2007; Mansfield & Stanford 2017), which with
greater investigation may challenge our understanding of what is rare or
typical, possible or impossible. The ability of these kinds of data to provide
new theoretical inputs in phonetics and phonology has already encouraged a
number of special issues (Whalen & McDonough 2019; Tucker & Wright 2020).
Therefore, we particularly encourage submissions dealing with lesser-studied
languages.

We plan to edit a volume on the topic of typological rarities in phonology for
our newly-established open-access book series “Topics in phonological
diversity” at Language Science Press
(https://langsci-press.org/catalog/series/tpd), providing a potential
publication outlet for successful proposals.

Anonymous abstracts of 300-500 words should be submitted via EasyChair. For
further details: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/2020/Abstract_submission

Deadline for submissions: 9 April 2021
Notification of Acceptance: 21 May 2021