32.604, Calls: Typology / Linguistic Typology (Jrnll)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 18 18:20:04 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-604. Thu Feb 18 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.604, Calls:  Typology / Linguistic Typology (Jrnll)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 13:19:07
From: Shelece Easterday [shelece at hawaii.edu]
Subject: Typology / Linguistic Typology (Jrnll)

Full Title: Linguistic Typology

Linguistic Field(s): Typology

Call Deadline: 01-Jun-2021

Second Call for Papers:

Dear all,

We are issuing an open call for submissions for a proposed special issue of
Linguistic Typology on phonological typology, whose working title is ''Current
research in phonological typology.''

Despite the fact that phonology has historically been integral to the
development of modern approaches to linguistic typology and theory (Trubetzkoy
1939, Martinet 1955, Hockett 1955, Greenberg 1978), its study is still badly
underrepresented in many important venues (Hyman & Plank 2018). The
crosslinguistic study of phonology and phonological systems has raised at
least two important issues in linguistic typology that remain unresolved
today. The first question is what constitutes the basis for cross-linguistic
comparison (Sherman & Vihman 1972), i.e., whether formal descriptive
categories can be equated and made comparable across languages (cf. Haspelmath
2010, Newmeyer 2010, Anderson 2017, Maddieson 2018). The second question is
what factors must be taken into account when using quantitative methods with
cross-linguistic datasets, i.e., languages are not independent data points
because of genealogical relatedness and languages may also share features due
to areal contact (Sherman 1975). Thus, these points challenge the assumptions
of classical statistical approaches (Bell 1978, Rijkhoff & Bakker 1998,
Janssen et al. 2006, Bakker 2011).

Submissions can deal with any of the questions listed below, or with other
questions related to phonological typology.

- What are the new big questions in phonological typology?
- What is the current theoretical and empirical status of phonological
universals?
- To what extent can we do typology at the macro vs. micro levels (cf. Heath
2016)?
- What phonological properties have been under-studied typologically?
- Why are phonemic categories (and descriptive categories in general)
inadequate for typology? What are the alternatives?
- How do different approaches to typology, e.g., Canonical Typology or
Distributional Typology, apply to phonology?
- What can sound changes and synchronic alternations in typological databases
tell us about diachrony?
- How can we model the impact of language contact on phonological
distributions?
- What can we discern from the landscape of particular geographic areas from a
typological perspective?
- How does language acquisition affect worldwide phonological diversity?

For this special volume, we are aiming for shorter submissions (5000-7000
words) that cover a broader range of issues, in the spirit of Linguistic
Typology Volume 20(3).

Submission deadline: June 1, 2021

Submission should be anonymous and follow the guidelines for authors.
Additionally, data and methods should be made publicly available for
scientific reproducibility, e.g. through OSF or an online repository. All
submissions will go through double-blind review with at least three reviews.

Questions and inquiries should be addressed to Shelece Easterday
<shelece at hawaii.edu> and Steven Moran <steven.moran at unine.ch>.