32.192, Support: Computational Linguistics: PhD, Heidelberg University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 12 19:17:16 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-192. Tue Jan 12 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.192, Support: Computational Linguistics: PhD, Heidelberg University

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 14:16:34
From: Anette Frank [frank at cl.uni-heidelberg.de]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: PhD, Heidelberg University, Germany

 Institution/Organization: Heidelberg University
Department: Computational Linguistics Department
Web Address: https://www.cl.uni-heidelberg.de/english/index.mhtml

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Machine Learning

Doctoral scholarship in Natural Language Understanding and Generation.

The scholarship is dedicated to outstanding young researchers in the areas of Computational Linguistics and Machine Learning.

We are looking for an outstanding doctoral candidate with a strong background in Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning and a strong interest in Natural Language Understanding and Generation. Additional background in multimodal processing is a plus.

The ideal candidate has strong programming skills, can work both independently and in a team, and has good communication skills in English, both oral and written.

The thesis topic will be defined jointly with the selected candidate as part of the application process and should be centered around the following broad research themes:
- Natural language understanding and generation
- Knowledge-grounded text coherence in discourse or dialogue
- Interaction of linguistic and visual processing in NLU and NLG

The scholarship is granted by Heidelberg University, based on funding from HITS gGmbH. It is available for a duration of 3 years, and will be granted to full length conditional on a positive evaluation after two years. Under special conditions the scholarship can be extended up to a maximal period of 4 years.
Basic funding per month is €1.468. In addition, a travel budget is provided for each year.

Note: The scholarship does not constitute an employment relationship between Heidelberg University and the scholarship holder. Payments are therefore not considered a remuneration for work according to §14 of the German Social Security Code (SGB IV) and are not subject to social security contributions in the sense of §§18, 19 EStG.

The scholarship can only be awarded if the candidate does not pursue another self-employed or non-self-employed activity in the context of which he or she earns income. Additional income is possible within the limits of the basic tax allowance according to §32a I sentence 2 EStG.
There is no legal entitlement to a scholarship even if the criteria are met.

Heidelberg University strives to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are underrepresented and strongly encourages qualified women to apply. Severely disabled persons will be given priority in the case of equal suitability.

The Heidelberg NLP Group led by Prof. Anette Frank conducts research on Natural Language Understanding with a focus on semantics and discourse processing. We regularly publish in top-tier international venues and our research is highly successful in integrating advanced machine learning methods with insightful linguistic analysis. We provide a cooperative working environment and value a mutually supportive working style. We provide good computational facilities and services with access to large GPU clusters.

Our present and recent past collaboration projects include the DFG priopity program RATIO, through our prior project ExpLAIN, the COST Action Multi3Generation, the AIPHES DFG Graduate School jointly organized with TU Darmstadt and HITS, and the Leibniz ScienceCampus ‘Empirical Linguistics and Computational Language Modeling’.

With three professorships, the Computational Linguistics Department at Heidelberg University is one of major sites in Natural Language Processing in Germany. We offer a full BA and MA program in Computational Linguistics and run a Doctoral Program with the Heidelberg Institute of Theoretical Studies (HITS).

To apply, please send an email to the application email below with the following subject line: "Uni Heidelberg Scholarship"

[1] Heidelberg Group: https://www.cl.uni-heidelberg.de/nlpgroup/
[2] Prof. Anette Frank: https://www.cl.uni-heidelberg.de/~frank/
[3] Projects: https://www.cl.uni-heidelberg.de/nlpgroup/projects.mhtml
[4] ICL: https://www.cl.uni-heidelberg.de/english/index.mhtml