32.263, Calls: Disc Analysis/Belgium

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 20 18:12:37 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-263. Wed Jan 20 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.263, Calls: Disc Analysis/Belgium

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 13:12:09
From: Peter Muntigl [peter.muntigl at ugent.be]
Subject: International Conference on Conversation Analysis and Psychotherapy

Full Title: International Conference on Conversation Analysis and Psychotherapy
Short Title: ICCAP

Date: 07-Oct-2021 - 09-Oct-2021
Location: Ghent University, Belgium
Contact Person: Peter Muntigl
Meeting Email: peter.muntigl at ugent.be
Web Site: https://www.iccap.ugent.be

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2021

Meeting Description:

The International Conference on Conversation Analysis and Psychotherapy has
been established as an international forum for building and developing
research on psychotherapy from a conversation analytic perspective. In 2021,
the focus of the conference will be the psychotherapy relationship.

Interest in the relationship between therapist and client has been central
from the earliest days of psychotherapy. There is much agreement that the
therapeutic relationship bears a significant relation to treatment outcome; it
can help make therapy effective and provide a healing context for change. Most
of the research on the therapy relationship to date has used quantitative
methods drawn from clients, therapists or observers’ appraisal (e.g., based on
questionnaires or checklist type measures). Much less energy has been
committed to the detailed examination of the specifics of in-therapy events
and how that may develop our qualitative understanding of how a therapy
relationship is achieved through therapists’ and clients’ talk and conduct.

Conversation Analysis (CA), which examines the moment-by-moment sequential
organization of social interaction in everyday and institutional contexts, has
provided many insights into our understanding of how important
psychotherapeutic ‘business’ is accomplished. This includes the psychotherapy
relationship, but also many other kinds of important phenomena grounded in
talk & conduct such as the alliance, empathy, emotional displays, epistemics
and change, just to name a few.

Call for Papers:

The overarching theme of this conference pertains to the psychotherapeutic
relationship. Interest in the relationship between therapist and client has
been central from the earliest days of psychotherapy. There is much agreement
that the therapeutic relationship bears a significant relation to treatment
outcome; it can help make therapy effective and provide a healing context for
change. Most of the research on the therapy relationship to date has used
quantitative methods drawn from clients, therapists or observers’ appraisal
(e.g., based on questionnaires or checklist type measures). Much less energy
has been committed to the detailed examination of the specifics of in-therapy
events and how that may develop our qualitative understanding of how a therapy
relationship is achieved through therapists’ and clients’ talk and conduct.

Conversation Analysis (CA), which examines the moment-by-moment sequential
organization of social interaction in everyday and institutional contexts, and
related disciplines have provided many insights into our understanding of how
important psychotherapeutic ‘business’ is accomplished. This includes the
psychotherapy relationship, but also many other kinds of important phenomena
grounded in talk & conduct such as the alliance, empathy, emotional displays,
epistemics and change, just to name a few.

The aim of this conference is to bring together researchers and practitioners
from an international community to discuss new findings, methodological
innovations and practical applications in this growing area of applied CA
work. We welcome submissions that align with the conference theme, but also
papers that address any relevant aspects of interactional practices used in
psychotherapeutic contexts. Submissions that address relevant neighbouring
forms of institutional practice (e.g., psychiatric consultations;
psychological assessment; support-oriented help lines, home support visits,
coaching and counselling) are also welcome. We hope the conference will be of
interest to people from a variety of academic backgrounds (including
psychotherapy, counselling, psychiatry, social work, linguistics, psychology,
and sociology) and to practitioners from a wide-range of institutional
settings who employ therapeutic practices in their work. Information regarding
the conference format (e.g., in person or online) will be provided later in
the year.

PRESENTATION FORMATS:
1. Conference Paper
 - Brief report on empirical work addressing some relevant aspect of
psychotherapeutic interaction
2. Data Session
 - Discussion of video- or audio recordings and transcripts of
psychotherapeutic interactions and/or sequences
3. Workshop
 - Interactive forum that addresses important connections between
psychotherapy and interaction research

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Please visit our website: https://www.iccap.ugent.be

SUBMISSION DEADLINE:
Wednesday, March 31, 2021. Submission will open February 1. All submissions
must be sent to: iccap2021 at ugent.be. Please only use the submission form when
you submit your abstract. The programme committee will send notices of
acceptance by May 1, 2021.

CONFIRMED PLENARY SPEAKERS:
Professor Robert Elliott, University of Strathclyde/Glasgow
Professor Alexa Hepburn, Rutgers University/ New Jersey

We look forward to seeing you in Ghent in October!

CONTACT INFORMATION
Please direct any questions to Claudio Scarvaglieri or Peter Muntigl at
iccap2021 at ugent.be

For further information please consult our conference website:
https://www.iccap.ugent.be