32.2259, Calls: Gen Ling, Morphology/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 2 18:06:34 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2259. Fri Jul 02 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2259, Calls: Gen Ling, Morphology/Germany

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 14:05:52
From: Jenny Audring [j.audring at hum.leidenuniv.nl]
Subject: How productive is derivational morphology? (DGfS 2022)

Full Title: How productive is derivational morphology? (DGfS 2022)

Date: 23-Feb-2022 - 25-Feb-2022
Location: Tübingen, Germany
Contact Person: Jenny Audring
Meeting Email: dgfsproductivity at gmail.com
Web Site: https://www.dgfs2022.uni-tuebingen.de

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Morphology

Call Deadline: 15-Aug-2021

Meeting Description:

Morphological productivity is still a major conundrum in linguistic theory.
Disagreement starts right at the base: Should productivity be considered the
norm, so we need to explain the restrictions that we find? Or is productivity
itself the phenomenon that needs explaining? With the growing popularity of
usage-based approaches to language, the focus of linguistic thinking is
shifting from the former question to the latter. In addition, new tools and
methods for empirical research are becoming available. In the light of both
developments, this workshop seeks to compile new evidence on productivity in
word formation.

We invite contributions that shed light on the conditions under which we see
greater or lesser productive use of derivational morphology. In particular, we
are interested in factors related to the speaker and the situation of
speaking, such as:

- Register and sociolinguistic setting: Are certain communicative situations
or registers more conducive to productive use of word-formation (cf. e.g. Plag
et al. 1999)?
- Age: To what extent is the morphology in child language conservative or
innovative?
- Literacy: Does higher literacy boost awareness and hence productive use of
derivational patterns?
- The individual: To what degree do we see individual differences in the
active use of a word formation pattern (cf. e.g. de Smet 2020)?

The workshop aims at synthesizing the factors that influence productivity.
Ultimately, we are interested in finding out how often, when and by whom words
are actually formed productively, as opposed to heard, stored and reproduced.
How productive is YOUR derivational morphology?

Convenors: Jenny Audring (Leiden University) & Kristian Berg (University of
Bonn)
Keynote speaker: Harald Baayen (University of Tübingen)

Call for Papers:

We invite submissions of abstracts for 30 minutes (20+10) presentations.
Abstract should be 300 words (plus references, one page in total). Deadline:
August 15, 2021. Please send your abstract to dgfsproductivity at gmail.com.

A limited number of travel grants of up to 500 Euro each are available for
accepted contributions by DGfS members without/with low income.

Important Dates:
Call Deadline: 15 August 2021
Notification: 15 September 2021
Workshop: 23-25 February 2022 (in the context of the 44th Annual Conference of
the German Linguistic Society (DGfS), Tübingen, Germany).
Meeting URL: www.dgfs2022.uni-tuebingen.de

The conference is intended to be held on site.