32.2356, Calls: Applied Ling, Clinical Ling/Greece

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 12 18:30:24 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2356. Mon Jul 12 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2356, Calls: Applied Ling, Clinical Ling/Greece

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 14:29:48
From: Antonis Botinis [abotinis at phil.uoa.gr]
Subject: 12th International Conference of Experimental Linguistics

Full Title: 12th International Conference of Experimental Linguistics
Short Title: ExLing 2021

Date: 11-Oct-2021 - 13-Oct-2021
Location: Athens, Greece
Contact Person: Antonis Botinis
Meeting Email: info at exlingsociety.com
Web Site: https://exlingsociety.com/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Clinical Linguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Jul-2021

Meeting Description:

ExLing invites you to the 12th International Conference of Experimental
Linguistics in Athens, Greece, from 11 to 13 October 2021.

We will gather in the University of Athens, close to the Acropolis. The nearby
National Archaeological Museum houses arguably the most iconic historical
artefact specifically related to language: a small amphora from the geometric
period in the 8th century depicting one of the world’s earliest alphabets,
which defines the spread of alphabets, such as the Greek, Roman and Cyrillic
alphabets. The amphitheatre under the Acropolis also hosted poetry, drama and
comedy millennia ago; the perfect backdrop to our Society and conference.

ExLing 2021 will facilitate the global exchange of innovative ideas and
experimental approaches to language study. Hosting keynote lectures by some of
the world’s foremost linguistics scholars, ExLing 2021 brings together leading
experts in the application of experimental and computational methods to
language study.

The ultimate objective of the conference is to foreground active participation
in current developments of linguistic knowledge with the use of experimental
methodologies, as well as to advance interdisciplinary research and
international collaboration.

Following our established tradition, ExLing 2021 will host two special
sessions, on Language Education and Language Pathology.

Our keynote speakers represent the cutting-edge in the field. After delivering
their lectures, conference participants will have the opportunity to delve
deeper into aspects of their current research and methodological approaches
through audience discussion.

 - Angela Friederici, Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain
Sciences, Germany: Language in our brain
 - Ted Gibson, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA: Discourse and
processing approaches to syntactic “island” effects
 - Robert Hartsuiker, Ghent University, Belgium: When are syntactic
representations shared across languages?
 - Charles Hulme, University of Oxford, UK: Interventions to improve
children’s early language skills
 - Martin Pickering, The University of Edinburgh, UK: Understanding dialogue:
Language use and social interaction
 - Kathy Rastle, Royal Holloway, University of London, UK: What makes a
writing system optimal?

Final Call for Papers:

Per the objectives of the 12th edition of the International Conference of
Experimental Linguistics, we are welcoming the submission of papers on
substantial, original and unpublished research in all aspects of Experimental
Linguistics.

The ExLing 2021 will be a hybrid conference involving both onsite and online
participation. In addition to keynote lectures, there will be a small number
of oral presentations onsite whereas the majority of the presentations will be
poster ones. On the other hand, online participation involves the online
attendance of accepted abstracts.

All accepted abstracts and thereafter submitted papers, irrespective of the
type of participation, will be published online in the ExLing 2021 proceedings
series, and selected presentations will be uploaded onto the ExLing YouTube
channel.

All experimental disciplines and subjects with reference to the study of
language will be considered, with particular interest given to
interdisciplinary works, ranging from speech production and language
comprehension to cognitive linguistics and discourse analysis.

Researchers of and research groups on experimental linguistics and related
disciplines are welcome to submit abstracts to the ExLing 2021 conference.

Submit your one-page abstract by 31 July here:
https://abstracts.exlingsociety.com/