32.2496, Calls: Pragmatics/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 28 00:16:38 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2496. Tue Jul 27 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2496, Calls: Pragmatics/Online

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 20:16:23
From: Alexandra Groß [alexandra.gross at uni-bayreuth.de]
Subject: Facial Gestures in Social Interaction - 2nd International Workshop

Full Title: Facial Gestures in Social Interaction - 2nd International Workshop

Date: 07-Oct-2021 - 09-Oct-2021
Location: Bayreuth (the virtual space via Zoom), Germany
Contact Person: Alexandra Groß
Meeting Email: alexandra.gross at uni-bayreuth.de

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics

Call Deadline: 01-Sep-2021

Meeting Description:

For this workshop, to be held in the virtual space via zoom, forms and
functions of facial gestures as parts of multimodal practices will be at the
center of interest. Focusing on the “interactive face”, we are including the
whole repertoire of positions and movements of eyelids, eyebrows, lips and
tongue, cheeks, nose, forehead, and chin (not included are movements of the
head as such and gaze).

Taking it a step further from the 1st workshop which took place in Bayreuth in
January 2020 (see the workshop report of Alt 2020:
http://www.gespraechsforschung-online.de/fileadmin/dateien/heft2020/tb-facial-
gestures.pdf), this 2nd workshop will take up and expand questions of how
facial gestures as co-speech and stand-alone elements contribute to turn
construction, how they help in organizing turn-taking and displaying
recipiency, and how interlocutors use their faces to come to a mutual
understanding.

Call for Papers:

Relevant questions for presentations can be:
 - In what contexts do facial gestures essentially contribute to constituting
multimodal practices?
 - How do facial gestures come into play for displaying participation in an
ongoing interaction (e.g., affiliation, recipiency)?
 - What role do facial movements (beyond gaze) play for turn structuring and
turn-taking?
 - How can differences in using the face within a conversation be traced to a
cultural account of display rules (Ekman & Friesen 1969)?

Furthermore, the workshop will continue discussions regarding methodological
and technological questions:
 - How can we describe the interactive function of facial gestures using the
methodological repertoire of Conversation Analysis/Interactional
Linguistics/Multimodal Analysis?
 - How can we transcribe facial movements adequately?
 - What technology can we use to record facial movements?

Forms of Presentation:
 - Presentation (25min presentation, 20min discussion)
 - Data session (60min)

Please send your abstracts (max. 350 words, in German or English) on or before
1 September 2021 to Alexandra Groß (Alexandra.gross at uni-bayreuth.de) and
Carolin Dix (carolin.dix at uni-bayreuth.de)