32.1884, Calls: Gen Ling/USA and Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 1 20:18:27 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1884. Tue Jun 01 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1884, Calls: Gen Ling/USA and Online

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:17:30
From: John Powell [jwpowell at email.arizona.edu]
Subject: Arizona Linguistics Circle 15

Full Title: Arizona Linguistics Circle 15
Short Title: ALC15

Date: 15-Oct-2021 - 17-Oct-2021
Location: University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ) (Hybrid), USA
Contact Person: John Powell
Meeting Email: jwpowell at email.arizona.edu
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/view/alc15

Call Deadline: 23-Jul-2021

Meeting Description:

Arizona Linguistics Circle 15 (ALC 15) is an annual graduate student-run
conference held at the University of Arizona. Our goal is to foster a deeper
appreciation for linguistics while providing a healthy environment for
academic discussion, especially as it concerns graduate student research.

Theme: Remote Linguistics: Experimentation, Fieldwork and Data Collection
Methods in an Uncertain World
Keynote Speakers: Ted Gibson (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), Benjamin
B. Munson (University of Minnesota), and Amy Fountain (University of Arizona)

Call for Papers:

We are pleased to invite talk proposals for Arizona Linguistics Circle 15 (ALC
15). The theme of this year’s conference is Remote Linguistics, that is the
ways in which we have worked to adapt to the unique challenges of a pandemic,
found new ways to conduct research remotely, and made ethical considerations
in using different modalities. However, abstracts from all areas of
linguistics are welcome and encouraged. This year, we plan to conduct a hybrid
conference, with both in-person and remote aspects (see Covid contingency). We
are also accepting proposals for workshops to help the community share best
practices in this new research landscape (see below).

Abstract Guidelines:
 - Abstract may not exceed 500 words (not including keywords, references,
figures, and tableaux)
 - Presentations will consist of 20-minute talks with 10-minute Q&A
 - Authors are limited to one individual and one joint abstract (not including
workshop submissions)
 - Only anonymized submissions will be accepted
 - Abstract submission deadline is 23 July 2021

Abstract submission is via EasyChair (https://easychair.org/cfp/alc15). For
questions regarding abstract submission, please contact the abstract review
manager at azlingcircle15 at gmail.com. Notification of acceptance will be sent
in late August. Presenters will be invited to submit their paper for
publication in Coyote Papers (https://coyotepapers.sbs.arizona.edu/), the
conference proceedings for ALC.

Call for Workshop Submissions:
We are also inviting proposals for one- to two-hour long workshops on the
theme of Remote Linguistics within the realm of experimentation, fieldwork,
and data collection. Example workshops include, but are not limited to,
improving sound quality in remote fieldwork, getting the most from online
crowdsourcing or experimentation platforms, setting up remote speech
collection experiments, and more. Workshop submissions from students are
especially welcome.

Workshop abstracts may not exceed 500 words and must include a title, detailed
description (topic, format, length, and content), technical prerequisites
(hardware, software, or platforms), applicant's areas of expertise, and why
the workshop would be of interest to ALC attendees. Workshop abstracts are
submitted on EasyChair and do not count towards the limit on paper abstract
submissions. Authors of accepted workshops will be offered modest honoraria.

Covid contingency:
Our plan is to enjoy a hybrid conference, such that presenters will have the
option to present in-person or remotely. This way, both domestic and
international presenters will have the opportunity to deliver their
presentations regardless of the Covid situation or vaccine availability of
their location. We will also have a contingency plan to move the conference to
a virtual format if Arizona is undergoing a significant Covid outbreak at the
time of the conference.