32.1924, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Groningen

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jun 3 16:36:56 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1924. Thu Jun 03 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1924, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Groningen

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 12:36:17
From: Martijn Scheeve [recruitment at rug.nl]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Groningen, Netherlands

University or Organization: University of Groningen
Department: Campus Fryslân
Job Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Web Address: https://www.rug.nl/cf/
Job Title: Assistant Professor Speech Technology (0.8 - 0.9 FTE)
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

We invite applications for an Assistant Professor in Speech Technology.
Generally, for this position, you will teach and develop courses, perform
research, supervise graduate research, and have an active role in shaping the
emerging educational and research programme.

We recognize research as a critical part of the profile of an Assistant
Professor, and therefore allocate 40% of your position to do research
(provided you teach at least 2 courses/year). That research may dovetail with
the courses you teach, to ensure that your expertise is integrated into the
programme. Ideally, your research would overlap with that of PhD students —
and, where relevant, graduate students could contribute to your research
through their thesis projects. As a team, we are keen on applying for grants
in the years ahead to build consortia and further solidify our expertise.

We see teaching as an interactive and engaging process. Consequently, the
courses include many individual and group activities and encourage creative,
out-of-the-box, hands-on approaches to learning that balance theory and
practice. Specifically, given the start-up phase of the programme and
potential for growth, this position is open to a range of profiles and
contributions. In addition to supervising theses within your area of
expertise, you will support the teaching and/or curriculum development of
courses in speech synthesis, speech recognition, Python, and machine learning
for voice tech (all courses already have detailed week-by-week descriptions
but lack student-ready syllabi, giving you some creative freedom -- more
information about the courses, including learning outcomes, is available upon
request):
- Speech Synthesis I and II
- Speech Recognition I and II
- Python for Voice Technology (and Intro to Python at the undergraduate level)
- Machine Learning for Voice Technology

If you are interested in increasing your appointment to a full-time one, you
may also teach Statistics (undergraduate level) under a separate contract.

most prestigious European universities. You will work at the university's
newest faculty, Campus Fryslân, located in the picturesque capital of Fryslân,
Leeuwarden (the European Capital of Culture in 2018). The faculty is dedicated
to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research and provides
a stimulating working environment in which mutual support is combined with
room for individual initiative. You will become a member of our high-standing
academic and international community. We challenge our staff and students to
approach issues from multiple disciplines and encourage them to take a
different view. We are curious about yours!

Within Campus Fryslân, you will primarily be working in the new Voice
Technology Master’s programme. The MSc. Voice Technology is a one-year English
language master’s programme with a highly interdisciplinary scope. It was
developed in close cooperation with other universities and partners from the
private sector (critical input continues to be provided by Dutch SMEs
alongside international tech companies like Apple, Mozilla, and Google). This
means that scientific scholarship is balanced with applied know-how in the
programme. The MSc. Voice Technology is launching for the first time in
September 2021 with a small cohort of students from an array of backgrounds,
ranging from AI and Computer Science to Linguistics and Humanities.

Please visit the application link below for more information and to apply.

Application Deadline: 13-Jun-2021

Web Address for Applications: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/job-opportunities/?details=00347-02S0008E4P
Contact Information:
	Program Director - MSc Voice Technology Matt Coler
	Email: m.coler at rug.nl