32.1946, Calls: Ling & Lit, Translation/France

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 4 18:45:29 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1946. Fri Jun 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1946, Calls: Ling & Lit, Translation/France

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 14:45:01
From: Thierry Ponchon [thierry.ponchon at univ-reims.fr]
Subject: 6th Frederic Dard/San-Antonio International Colloquium

Full Title: 6th Frederic Dard/San-Antonio International Colloquium
Short Title: Dard2022

Date: 29-Jun-2022 - 01-Jul-2022
Location: Université de Bourgogne / University of Burgundy (Dijon), France
Contact Person: Hugues Galli
Meeting Email: colloquedard2022 at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature; Translation

Call Deadline: 15-Sep-2021

Meeting Description:

The “San-Antonio Phenomenon” was the title of the first university meeting
around the writer. It was in 1965, during a general literature seminar in
Bordeaux. Frederic Dard was invited to it by Robert Escarpit. Surrounded by an
array of professors who asked him what he had learned from each other’s words,
uncomfortable in the role of a schoolboy assigned to him, Frederic Dard had
his words: “I had fabricated a watch. You’ve just taken it apart in two steps,
and now you’re asking me to tell the time! I don’t know if you realize, but
from now on I will write with the pen between my legs! How could it be
otherwise since I saw how you dissect my prose.”

Does this mean that the relationship between the writer and academic critic
was off to a bad start? No. Frederic Dard was flattered by this academic
recognition. Proof if there is one: The Hatchet Man (Vas-y, Béru !), a novel
published immediately after this meeting, was dedicated to Robert Escarpit, on
behalf of his “grateful Seminarist”. 2010 makes the return of the curator
within the walls of the University. Frederic Dard is no longer there to attend
the presentations, but under the initiative of Françoise Rullier-Theuret (who
has just left us and to whom we wish to pay tribute here), San-Antonio is
making its entrance in the Sorbonne! The Paris conference begins the
organization of four successive conferences: Chambéry (2013), Dijon (2014),
Belfast (2015) and Craiova (2017). However, the University had not forgotten
Frederic Dard. Exegesis works are numerous, as are academic works, theses and
dissertations.
Due to the pandemic, the conference planned for the centenary of the birth of
Frederic Dard was postponed for one year. Laughing, San-Antonio would
certainly have said: ''100 years is banal, buddy, 101 years is much more
groovy!''

Placed under these auspices, the upcoming international colloquium:
“San-Antonio from A to Z”. Tribute to Frederic Dard on the occasion of the one
hundred and first anniversary of his birth aims to bring together works
focusing above all on Frederic Dard’s writing. It is also intended to be a
broader tribute, wishing to bring together researchers beyond the work of the
writer, around an innovative language and style. Among the study areas
(linguistic as well as literary or stylistic) are retained: the language of
San-Antonio and that of its initiators or successors, which can be studied
according to different approaches, in general or on particular language facts,
the author’s relationship with his readers, his publishers or with critics,
the question of the filiation of his work, its place within the literature or
in the readers’ expectation horizon, but also the translations into foreign
languages of works using an “off the wall” language, their specificities and
their vitality. Without exclusive, other axes related to the general theme of
the conference could be proposed.

Call for Papers:

- Individual papers are formal presentations on original research by one or
more authors, lasting a total of 30 minutes (20 minutes for presentation and
10 minutes for discussion).
- It is assumed that all proposals represent original and unpublished work
that is not yet available to the research community.
- The languages of the conference are French and English.
- Abstracts (in French or English) must not exceed 500 words. References do
not count toward the word count. They should clearly state the research
question(s), approach, method, data and (expected) results, and be sent to:
colloquedard2022 at gmail.com.

Important Dates:
- Submission for papers: June 15 – September 15, 2021.
- Deadline for submission of papers : 15 September 2021
- Notification of acceptance: 15 November 2021. Registration information will
be made available by that time.
- Conference dates: 29 June – 1 July 2022.

Publication: A publication of a selection of papers is planned.