32.1987, Calls: Lang Doc, Ling Theories, Morphology, Syntax, Typology/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 8 18:37:51 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1987. Tue Jun 08 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1987, Calls: Lang Doc, Ling Theories, Morphology, Syntax, Typology/Online

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 14:37:26
From: Zorica Puškar-Gallien [puskar at leibniz-zas.de]
Subject: Multiple Exponence @ ZAS

Full Title: Multiple Exponence @ ZAS
Short Title: MultEx at ZAS

Date: 01-Dec-2021 - 03-Dec-2021
Location: Berlin, Online, Germany
Contact Person: Zorica Puškar-Gallien
Meeting Email: FB3multex at leibniz-zas.de
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/view/multexzas/

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation; Linguistic Theories; Morphology; Syntax; Typology

Call Deadline: 31-Aug-2021

Meeting Description:

The aim of the workshop Multiple Exponence @ ZAS is to provide a platform for
discussion of empirical and theoretical questions raised by Multiple
Exponence, under which we understand types of non-canonical inflection such as
extended and cumulative exponence. The workshop will be hosted online by the
Leibniz-Zentrum Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft (ZAS) in Berlin.

Call for Papers:

The MultEx at ZAS workshop seeks papers on Multiple Exponence (henceforth ME)
from any perspective, including morphological theory, typology, or language
description. As a baseline, we adopt Caballero and Harris’ (2012:165)
definition of ME as “the occurrence of multiple realizations of a single
feature, bundle of features, or derivational category in more than one
position in a domain.” In this workshop, we encourage the discussion of this
phenomenon from both empirical and theoretical perspectives and seek to have
constructive debate across frameworks and schools of morphology and syntax.

The phenomenon of ME has been a recurring topic in the field over the past
decades and different schools of thought have tackled it from various
perspectives: Word-in-paradigm (Matthews 1974), Split Morphology (Anderson
1982, Perlmutter 1988), Distributed Morphology (e.g. Halle and Marantz 1993),
Nanosyntax (Caha 2018), Minimalist Morphology (Wunderlich 1996, Wunderlich and
Fabri 1996, Stiebels 2015), Paradigm Function Morphology (Stump 2001),
Optimality Theory (Grimshaw 2001, Trommer 2001; 2003a,b; 2006, Müller 2020)
and Lexical Functional Grammar (Nordlinger & Sadler 2019). It also features
prominently in the debate on the morphome (Luís & Bermúdez-Otero 2016 and
Herce 2020). The phenomenon of ME continues to inform and refine morphological
theory building as well as linguistic typology. We would like to provide a
platform for the discussion of ME with the MultEx at ZAS workshop.

We welcome contributions whose focus is:
 - empirical: new contributions, in-depth case studies, especially from
understudied languages and/or fieldwork;
 - typological: demarcating the various types of ME and its axes of variation
cross-linguistically;
 - theoretical: comparing models in terms of how they capture ME;
 - experimental: new methodologies which may help shine light on ME.

Due to the travel restrictions imposed by COVID-19, the workshop will be held
fully online.

Invited speakers:
Gabriela Caballero (University of California, San Diego)
Pavel Caha (Masaryk University)
Borja Herce (Universität Zürich)
Ana Luís (Universidade de Coimbra)
Gereon Müller (Universität Leipzig)
Rachel Nordlinger (University of Melbourne)

Important information:
Abstract submission deadline: 31 August, 2021
Notification of acceptance: 30 September, 2021
Workshop date: 1-3 December, 2021
Workshop website: https://sites.google.com/view/multexzas

Abstract submission guidelines:
 - .pdf format
 - 2 pages + additional pages for the bibliography
 - A4 format, 1-inch/2.45-cm margins
 - Times, 12pt
 - Examples interspersed throughout the text

We invite abstracts for 20-minute talks and poster presentations. Abstracts
should be submitted via email at “FB3multex at leibniz-zas.de”. Please write
“abstract submission” in the subject line and your name and affiliation in the
body of the email and please specify whether your abstract should be
considered for a talk, a poster presentation, or both.