32.2069, Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; Lexicography: Programmer, Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 16 16:40:40 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2069. Wed Jun 16 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2069, Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; Lexicography: Programmer, Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 12:39:37
From: Anna Luisa Daigneault [annaluisa at livingtongues.org]

University or Organization: Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages
Department: Living Dictionaries
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://livingdictionaries.app/
Job Title: Web Developer
Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Web Applications

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Title of position: Web Developer
Hours: Part-time contractor position, 12.5 hours per week, flexible schedule.
Location: Remote
Duration: 5 months (roughly July-Nov 2021), with the possibility to renew the
contract
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: $30.00 USD/hour

Living Tongues Institute is seeking a part-time web developer! In working with
Living Tongues, you will have an opportunity to develop and expand a unique
web-based platform that serves threatened and under-represented languages
communities around the globe. The web developer’s responsibilities include:
- Design, develop and optimize Living Dictionaries, an online
dictionary-builder
- Code new features on the development roadmap
- Assist with language localization, in collaboration with Program Director
- Batch import digital dictionary data onto the platform
- Perform routine site audits and ongoing maintenance, on an as-needed basis
- Maintain regular communication with the Program Director concerning the
development and direction of the website
- Provide tech support to dictionary managers and language activists in
collaboration with Program Director

Requirements:
- Background in linguistics and web development
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in web development
- Candidates must possess a familiarity with technological issues related to
language localization and digitization
- Passionate about creating digital resources for under-served languages
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Proficient in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (with experience in at least 1
Javascript framework - we use Svelte, which is quick to learn, especially if
you have worked with a Javascript framework before)

About Living Dictionaries:
Led by activists and linguists around the globe, Living Dictionaries are
collaborative multimedia web tools that can help languages survive for
generations to come. Ideal for maintaining indigenous as well as diasporic
languages, Living Dictionaries are never out-of-print, infinitely expandable
resources. They go well beyond a static print dictionary by combining language
data with digital audio recordings of native speakers, photos and videos.
Living Dictionaries address the urgent need to provide comprehensive, freely
accessible tech tools that can assist communities in conservation efforts and
revitalization programs. The intended audience of this web app is inclusive,
diverse and multilingual. https://livingdictionaries.app/

About Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages:
We are a non-profit research organization based in the US. Our mission is to
ensure language survival for generations to come. We support speakers who are
saving their languages from extinction through activism, education, and
technology. Our research teams document endangered languages and cultural
practices, publish scientific studies, run digital training workshops to
empower language activists, and collaborate with communities to create
language resources that will serve as a basis for language revitalization.
https://livingtongues.org/

Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are a good
candidate for this position to Living Tongues Program Director, Anna Luisa
Daigneault at the application email provided below.

Email Address for Applications: annaluisa at livingtongues.org
Contact Information:
	Ms. Anna Luisa Daigneault
	Email: annaluisa at livingtongues.org