32.913, Qs: Help with PhD Project

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 13 02:13:10 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-913. Fri Mar 12 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.913, Qs: Help with PhD Project

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 21:12:49
From: Stefanie Barkallah [stefanie1schroeter at gmail.com]
Subject: Help with PhD Project

To whom it may concern,

I am a PhD student at the University of Hamburg and I am investigating English
demonstratives in third language acquisition. During a project in Germany
(MEZ), we tested bilingual children who were either at the age of 12 or 16
with the languages Turkish-German or Russian-German. We tested their written
English skills. They had to write like a journalist about a typical English
breakfast on the basis of a picture sequence (which they had to describe as
well). Further, we gave them a questionnaire about their language skills and
motiviation of learning additional languages.

Now I need control groups of English, Turkish and Russian speaker. Due to
Corona, I cannot collect data personally. That is why I send you this message.

My target groups should be:

monolingual speaker of English/Turkish/Russian
adults/teenager (both age groups are examined)
learned additional languages in school (English is needed, since the task is
only in English)
do the same written task via a link, in English please, and answer a few
questions about the own language(s)

The task can be done via a link. Of course, it will be anonymous.

https://www.soscisurvey.de/a_typical_english_breakfast_en/

I would really appreciate your help and further, if you could spread the link.

Thank you in advance.

Have a lovely day.

Kind regards,

Stefanie Barkallah (form. Schröter)
M.A.
University of Hamburg
Institute of English and American Studies
Phd fellow

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Subject Language(s): English (eng)