32.962, FYI: Manifesto for Biocultural Diversity

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 16 12:44:11 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-962. Tue Mar 16 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.962, FYI: Manifesto for Biocultural Diversity

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 08:41:59
From: Albin Wagener [albin.wagener at gmail.com]
Subject: Manifesto for Biocultural Diversity

In 2019, scholars and citizens from different parts of the world gathered to
work on a Manifesto sprint that would eventually lead to the constitution of
the Vienna Manifesto for Biocultural Diversity
(https://www.oeaw.ac.at/en/detail/news/workshop-biodiversity-in-connection-wit
h-linguistic-and-cultural-diversity/). This Manifesto will be advertised this
year in order to support the diversity of languages and culture all around the
globe, and show how and why these are deeply linked to environmental
diversity; hence issues regarding climate change are affecting societies and
populations all around the world.

In order to give this Manifesto its true dimension, we are looking for
people/scholars willing to contribute in terms of translations. We have
entered the second phase of our work and would pretty much like to publish the
complete website online by the end of March/beginning of April - but of
course, linguistic contributions will be published continuously on the website
(which is already online, but not fully complete).

We are currently looking for colleagues willing to engage with us, in order to
sign the Manifesto of course but also to translate it in the best variety of
languages possible. For the moment, the Manifesto is available (or will be) in
the following languages: English, French, Arabic, Spanish, Catalan, Provençau,
Breton, Standard Arabic, Tunisian Arabic, Kirundi, Romanian, Scots, Cherman,
Chinese, Bengali, Hindi, Uganga, Portuguese, Turkish, Russian, Croatian,
Dutch, Flemish, Occitan, Danish, Italian, Hebrew, Finnish, Polish, Mauritius
Creole, Corsican, Reunionese Creole, Yoruba, Shimaore, Malagasy, Kibushi,
Tamazight, Algerian Arabic, Urdu, Letzebuergesch, Capverdian, Seychelles
Creole, Sotho, Taiwanese, Ghana, Persian and Vasque.

Yet a lot of languages are still missing, and we really would like to address
as many languages as possible.
Do not hesitate to take a look at https://biocultural-diversity.org/english
and contact us for further information!

Thank you in advance for your kind efforts.
Albin Wagener - albin.wagener at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics