32.1006, Books: Pragmatics: Birner

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 19 00:28:41 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1006. Thu Mar 18 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1006, Books: Pragmatics: Birner

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Billy Dickson <billyd at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 20:28:19
From: Oxford University Press [HumanitiesMarketing at oup.com]
Subject: Pragmatics: Birner

Title: Pragmatics
Subtitle: A Slim Guide
Publication Year: 2021
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/pragmatics-9780198828587?utm_source=linguistlist&utm_medium=listserv&utm_campaign=linguistics

Author: Betty J. Birner

Hardback: ISBN:  9780198828587 Pages: 192 Price: U.S. $ 50
Paperback: ISBN:  9780198828594 Pages: 192 Price: U.S. $ 20

Abstract:

This book offers a concise but comprehensive entry-level guide to the study of
meaning in context. There can be a big difference between what a speaker says
and what they mean - i.e. between literal meaning and intended meaning. A
speaker who says I need coffee can mean anything from 'Please buy more coffee'
to 'I'm really sleepy'. How is a hearer to know? In this book, Betty Birner
explores how we get from what is said to what is meant, from the perspective
of both the speaker and the hearer, dealing with a range of context-dependent
issues in language along the way: literal and non-literal meaning,
implicature, speech acts, reference, definiteness, presupposition, and
information structure. She reveals how language users can infer each other's
meanings using not just what is being said but also the context and an
assumption of rationality and cooperation.

This slim guide summarizes the most important and foundational theories in the
field of linguistic pragmatics, illustrated with plenty of real-life examples,
and including a helpful glossary of key terms. Written in a lively and
accessible style, the book will appeal to a wide range of readers, from
undergraduate and graduate students of pragmatics to general readers
interested in how we successfully communicate with one another.

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=152793