32.1587, Qs: Foreign Accent Rating (English)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri May 7 03:44:45 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1587. Thu May 06 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1587, Qs: Foreign Accent Rating (English)

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 23:42:42
From: Jakub Bortlík [jakub.bortlik01 at upol.cz]
Subject: Foreign Accent Rating (English)

I am a PhD student at the Dept of English and American studies of Palacký
University Olomouc, Czech Republic (https://anglistika.upol.cz)  and I would
like to ask you for help.

For my dissertation research I am looking for English speakers (preferably
native speakers but and non-native speakers are invited to participate too)
who could participate in an online experiment of foreign accent rating.
I understand that in this difficult time everybody is overwhelmed with all
sorts of messages but I would like to ask you to share the following message
with your students and colleagues, or maybe to refer me to any of your
colleagues whom I could approach with this request:

"Do you speak English? Do you think you can distinguish native speakers from
people with a foreign accent? Find out in an experiment at this link:
https://www.psytoolkit.org/c/3.2.0/survey?s=d5uTG and become part of a
research project at the Dept of English and American studies of Palacký
University, Olomouc. All you need is a computer with internet access,
headphones and half an hour of free time. Help science from the comfort of
your home :)"

Thank you very much.
With kind regards,
Jakub Bortlík