32.1631, Books: Language and Social Minds: Tantucci

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue May 11 18:00:56 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1631. Tue May 11 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1631, Books: Language and Social Minds: Tantucci

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Billy Dickson <billyd at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 14:00:41
From: Rachel Tonkin [rtonkin at cambridge.org]
Subject: Language and Social Minds: Tantucci

Title: Language and Social Minds
Subtitle: The Semantics and Pragmatics of Intersubjectivity
Publication Year: 2021
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/cognitive-linguistics/language-and-social-minds-semantics-and-pragmatics-intersubjectivity?format=HB

Author: Vittorio Tantucci

Hardback: ISBN:  9781108484824 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 110.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9781108484824 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 85.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9781108484824 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 99.20

Abstract:

Combining theory from cognitive semantics and pragmatics, this book offers
both a new model and a new usage-based method for the understanding of
intersubjectivity, and how social cognition is expressed linguistically at
different levels of complexity. Bringing together ideas from linguistics and
theory of mind, Tantucci demonstrates the way in which speakers constantly
monitor and project their interlocutor's reactions to what is being said, and
sets out three distinct categories of social cognition in first language
acquisition and language change. He also shows how this model can be applied
in different settings and includes a range of examples from languages across
the globe, to demonstrate the cross-linguistic universality of the model.
Additionally the book offers insights into the gradient dimension of
intersubjectivity in language evolution and across the autistic spectrum.
Original and innovative, it will be invaluable for researchers in cognitive
linguistics, pragmatics, historical linguistics, applied linguistics and
cognitive psychology.

1. The Intersubjective Gradience Model – an Introduction; 2. Intersubjective
Gradience in Use – from Immediate to Extended Construals of Social Cognition;
3. Social Cognition in a Usage-Based Model of Language Change – from Immediate
(I-I) to Extended Intersubjectification (E-I); 4. The Intersubjective
Gradience Model Applied – from Immediate (I-I) to Extended
Intersubjectification (E-I) throughout Ontogeny; 5. Concluding Remarks.

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Pragmatics
                     Semantics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=153958