32.1691, Confs: Ling Theories, Morphology/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri May 14 13:44:02 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1691. Fri May 14 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1691, Confs: Ling Theories, Morphology/Online

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 09:43:35
From: Jeroen Van Craenenbroeck [jeroen.vancraenenbroeck at kuleuven.be]
Subject: Perspectives on Productivity

Perspectives on Productivity
Short Title: PoP

Date: 26-May-2021 - 26-May-2021
Location: Online, Belgium
Contact: Jeroen Van Craenenbroeck
Contact Email: jeroen.vancraenenbroeck at kuleuven.be
Meeting URL: https://www.crissp.be/crissp-workshop-perspectives-on-productivity/

Linguistic Field(s): Linguistic Theories; Morphology

Meeting Description:

This workshop aims at discussing morphological productivity from the
viewpoints of different theoretical frameworks. Specifically, we want to shed
more light on how different frameworks account for cases of derivational
morphology that seem to be ‘semi-productive’, i.e. cases in which a
morphological derivational process has lost part of its productivity, but is
not yet completely unproductive, as evidenced by the fact that speakers can
still create neologisms with that derivational process, even though this
rarely happens. How can we account for such semiproductive morphological
processes? What can we learn from them regarding the architecture of the
lexicon, the lexicon-morphology interface, and about morphological variation
and change? The talks in this workshop will reflect on these questions from the
viewpoint of different theoretical frameworks, in order to learn from one
other’s point of view, and to make advancements in our collective
understanding of morphological productivity and the lexicon-morphology
interface.

Program Information:

Wednesday May 26, 2021 (all times in CEST)

14:30-15:15
Charles Yang: Productivity and the discovery procedure

15:15-16:00
Rosita van Tuijl: The productivity of Dutch diminutives

16:00-16:45
Harald Baayen & Shen Tian: Productivity and semantic transparency: An
exploration of compounding in Mandarin

16:45-17:00
Break

17:00-17:45
Jenny Audring: Morphology beyond the generative ideal

17:45-18:30
Paul Kiparsky: Productivity, Frequency, and Level-Ordering

18:30-19:15
Heidi Harley: Productivity in Distributed Morphology