32.1799, Diss: Semantics: Author: Jumanah Abdulwahab Abusulaiman: ''Diss Title: Modality in Makkan Arabic: The interaction between modals and aspect''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 24 17:26:13 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1799. Mon May 24 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1799, Diss: Semantics: Author: Jumanah Abdulwahab Abusulaiman: ''Diss Title: Modality in Makkan Arabic: The interaction between modals and aspect''

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 13:26:06
From: Jumanah Abusulaiman [jaabusulaiman at uqu.edu.sa]

Institution: University of Ottawa
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2020

Author: Jumanah Abdulwahab Abusulaiman

Dissertation Title: Modality in Makkan Arabic: The interaction between modals
and aspect

Dissertation URL:  https://ruor.uottawa.ca/bitstream/10393/39930/1/Abusulaiman_Jumanah_2019_th

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics

Dissertation Director(s):
Prof. Ana (UMASS/University of Ott Arregui
Prof. E ́ric (UniversityofOttawa Mathieu

Dissertation Abstract:

This dissertation explores the interaction between modality and aspect in
Makkan Arabic (MA). There is some consensus in the semantic literature
regarding the treatment of modal expressions that may obtain various flavours,
such as epistemic, deontic, bouletic, ability, necessity or teleological.
These various modal flavours can be captured by a unified lexical entry, and
are identified by contextual factors Kratzer (1977, 1981, 1991, 2012). There
is some debate regarding the structural location of modal elements, some of
which have been argued to be high (the case of epistemic modals) and others
low (the case of root modals) (e.g. Cinque (1999)). The relative scope of
modals has been subject of much recent work on modality, in particular in
relation to their interaction with temporal categories such as aspect. This
thesis investigates this topic on the basis of novel data from MA....

In addition I show that, contrary to what has been argued by Hacquard for
French, the perfect in MA can give rise to AEs in the case of the saar
auxiliary. I develop an analysis of the saar perfect that is inspired by
Hacquard’s proposal for perfective: in the case of saar, contrary to kaan, the
perfect links the eventuality to the actual world. While the discussion of AEs
in relation to the modal \gdr\ are linked to the proposal that aspect scopes
over the modal, I also examine the case of a modal expression that scopes over
aspect: qad “might”. I show that in spite of the fact that aspect scopes below
the modal, the contrast between perfective and imperfective in the embedded
clause can still give rise to differences in the generation of AEs. This case
is interesting because much previous literature on AEs has focused on
languages in which aspect scopes over the modal. MA qad provides an example
where the modal scopes over aspect, and it is still the case that AEs appear
to be generated. In spite of the structural differences with \gdr\, my
analysis of qad builds on Hacquard’s proposal for AEs with the perfective,
appealing to her proposal for the ‘preservation of event description’ to
account for the fact that properties of eventualities can remain stable across
worlds.