32.1845, FYI: Languages in Modern Day Puerto Rico

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 26 23:33:48 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-1845. Wed May 26 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.1845, FYI: Languages in Modern Day Puerto Rico

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 19:30:51
From: Dr. Katherine Morales [katherine.morales1 at upr.edu]
Subject: Languages in Modern Day Puerto Rico

Call for Papers

Languages in Modern Day Puerto Rico
Abstract submission deadline: August 1, 2021

Please direct questions or inquiries to: Katherine Morales:
katherine.morales1 at upr.edu or Kevin S. Carroll: kevin.carroll at upr.edu

Final Submissions to: Katherine Morales katherine.morales1 at upr.edu

With this call for papers, we plan to bring together a collection of
empirically driven research that highlights the reality of language in Puerto
Rico today. Ultimately, our goal is to publish this collection of research
papers in a high impact factor journal which focuses on themed editions
related to the sociology of language.

Following the multilingual “trans” turn in applied linguistics and trends in
globalization we envision this special issue to be framed within a
post-structuralist lens that sees beyond strict divisions between languages
and works toward documenting the role that language plays in the lives of
Puerto Ricans living on the island and abroad.

Prior research on the Island has explored languages in light of Puerto Rico’s
colonial status. In the midst of a series of emergencies: a pandemic, natural
disasters, austerity measures, among others - Puerto Ricans feel their
colonial status now more than any time in recent memory. These crises have led
to social changes that indeed affect language and ideologies of language. A
mass exodus of young families has tipped the scale so that now more Puerto
Ricans live in the United States than in the archipelago itself. Facing
uncertain futures, many Puerto Ricans who never considered leaving will move
from Spanish-speaking to English-speaking communities. These changes give rise
to many cultural and linguistic shifts that are yet to be addressed in
contemporary research on the Island.

Of secondary concern to our translinguistic focus is the role of technology on
the island. We anticipate the volume touching on how social networking sites
and popular mobile phone applications (such as Tik Tok, Instagram, and others)
play a pivotal role in shaping Puerto Ricans daily language practices. These
technological spaces offer new ways of communicating, as their users gain
access to a wider range of symbolic resources, embracing multimodal repertoire
systems to communicate with others on and off the island.

We invite contributions from scholars who address the issue of languages in
contemporary Puerto Rico in their research. Potential topics might include but
are not limited to:

- Language in social media and mobile applications;
- Language in modern-day island politics;
- The role of English in employment;
- The formation of Puerto Rican varieties of Spanish and English in context;
- Translanguaging practices in K-12 contexts;
- Translanguaging practices in COVID discourse;
- Puerto Rican Sign Language;
- The role of language in popular culture and music;
- Language in the linguistic landscape(s);
- Language and identity in island Puerto Ricans;
- Translanguaging and social meaning in interaction;
- Mobility, language, education and identity issues among the Puerto Rican
diaspora;
- Language and its relation to the financial crisis or austerity measures.

Submission Guidelines:
Abstracts should be between 400-500 words (excluding references). We advise
you to include the following information in your abstract submission:

- Title of paper
- Author name, position, affiliation and contact information
- A short introductory statement which explains the background/significance of
your research
- A brief description of your methodology/theoretical framework(s)
- A brief overview of the main findings of your research
- A short concluding statement

Final abstracts should be submitted to: katherine.morales1 at upr.edu by August
1, 2021.

Proposed Timeline:
Deadline for Abstract Submission: August 1, 2021
Notification of acceptance: Before September 1, 2021
Proposed deadline for 1st draft of complete article submission: January 31,
2022

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Applied Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Language Documentation
                     Lexicography