32.3668, Qs: Help with Conceptual Translations for Studying Early Language Learning

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Nov 21 09:49:06 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3668. Sun Nov 21 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3668, Qs: Help with Conceptual Translations for Studying Early Language Learning

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 04:48:47
From: George Kachergis [kachergis at stanford.du]

Dear Linguists,

We’d like your help with a conceptual mapping/translation task.

We are child language researchers at Stanford and have created a website
called Wordbank, which archives parent reports of children’s vocabulary from
around the world. We use forms called CDIs (Communicative Development
Inventories). These forms have been adapted by local researchers for dozens of
languages.

In order to look at similarities and differences in language learning across
languages, we are trying to get good translations of CDI word lists into the
same set of "universal" concepts. We know this is a hard task that is itself
an important and tricky research program (and we’re aware of efforts like
Natural Semantics Metalanguage), but we’re trying to do our best.

We’re recruiting linguists who are also proficient or native speakers of a set
of languages to check and correct our lists of children's early learned words
(so experience with kids is a plus!). We have a (tentative) list of concepts,
and your task is to go through and check the matches of words to these
concepts. (We have some guidelines for how to resolve tricky cases, of which
there are quite a few!)

So, why do we need you? We would like to find native/highly-proficient
speakers of each language in our list. If you'd like to help us, please fill
out this survey: https://forms.gle/WfwsGdZfZ4dxEAmC6
If you are selected, we'll give you an Amazon gift card for your time: some
languages need more help than others, so we will compensate you for 1-2 hours
($25-50) depending on the amount of work needed. We greatly appreciate your
help and expertise!  (Please feel free to pass on this survey to anyone else
who might be interested!)

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Subject Language(s): Croatian (hrv)
                     Czech (ces)
                     Finnish (fin)
                     German (deu)