32.3114, Jobs: Cognitive Science; Semantics; Typology: Postdoctoral researcher, University of Edinburgh

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 4 19:16:57 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3114. Mon Oct 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3114, Jobs: Cognitive Science; Semantics; Typology: Postdoctoral researcher, University of Edinburgh

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 15:16:11
From: Wataru Uegaki [w.uegaki at ed.ac.uk]
Subject: Cognitive Science; Semantics; Typology: Postdoctoral researcher, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

University or Organization: University of Edinburgh
Department: School of Philosophy, Psychology, and Language Sciences
Job Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.ed.ac.uk/PPLS
Job Title: Postdoctoral researcher
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Semantics; Typology

We are seeking to recruit a postdoctoral researcher (28 months; full-time)
with expertise in semantics and/or evolutionary linguistics to contribute to
the project “Logic in semantic universals” (http://www.wataruuegaki.com/flf/),
funded by the UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship (PI: Wataru Uegaki). The goal of
the project is to uncover what core properties of human language semantic
universals in logical vocabularies (including connectives, quantifiers, modals
and clause-embedding predicates) are rooted in. To this end, the project will
pursue an integrated approach that combines insights from formal semantics and
evolutionary linguistics, building on a wide-scale cross-linguistic data
collection. As a member of the project, the post-holder will contribute to
data collection and theory construction, in collaboration with the PI and
another research assistant.

The post is for a 28-month fixed term. The position is available as of January
2022, but appointment at a later time can be negotiated. We endeavour to give
candidates two weeks’ notice ahead of interviews.

A copy of the full job description can be found here:
https://uoe.sharepoint.com/:w:/s/jobdescriptionlibrary/EebTsELF3JNBqdBWa6m6Y1g
BEMEaOQWtbPMN4l5vGzBE8Q

Your skills and attributes for success:
 - A track record of high-quality research outputs such as journal
publications and presentations at international conferences.
 - Demonstrable experience with gathering and analysing cross-linguistic
semantic data.
 - Up-to-date knowledge of areas of semantic theory relevant to the project
aims.
 - A track record of peer-reviewed publications in areas relevant to the
project.
 - Experience with semantic fieldwork or experimental/modelling-based semantic
research.

The successful candidate will be a member of the PI Uegaki's research group
and the vibrant research community in the School of Philosophy, Psychology,
and Language Sciences. As a valued member of our team, you can expect an
exciting, positive, creative, challenging and rewarding place to work. We give
you support, nurture your talent and reward success. You will benefit from a
competitive reward package and a wide range of staff benefits, which includes
a generous holiday entitlement, a defined benefits pension scheme, staff
discounts, family friendly initiatives, flexible working and much more. Access
our staff benefits page for further information and use our reward calculator
to find out the total value of pay and benefits provided.

The University of Edinburgh holds a Silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of
our commitment to advance gender equality in higher education. We are members
of the Race Equality Charter and we are also Stonewall Scotland Diversity
Champions, actively promoting LGBT equality.

PPLS welcomes applications from candidates belonging to groups that have been
traditionally underrepresented in the department, including, but not limited
to, women and ethnic minorities.

Note that the application deadline is 29 October at **17:00 UK time**.

In addition to a full CV, please submit a 1-page cover letter that explains
your motivation for applying for this position, contact details for three
referees, and two sample publications, such as a journal article, thesis
chapter, or proceedings paper along with your application via the application
link below.

Application Deadline: 29-Oct-2021

Web Address for Applications: https://elxw.fa.em3.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/2163
Contact Information: