32.3133, Books: Approaches to Discourse Analysis: Gordon (ed.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 5 02:58:26 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3133. Mon Oct 04 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3133, Books: Approaches to Discourse Analysis: Gordon (ed.)

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Billy Dickson <billyd at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 22:58:08
From: Stephanie Rojas [sr1351 at georgetown.edu]
Subject: Approaches to Discourse Analysis: Gordon (ed.)

Title: Approaches to Discourse Analysis
Series Title: Georgetown University Round Table on Language and Linguistics

Publication Year: 2021
Publisher: Georgetown University Press
	   http://www.press.georgetown.edu

Book URL: http://press.georgetown.edu/book/georgetown/approaches-discourse-analysis

Editor: Cynthia Gordon

Electronic: ISBN:  9781647121112 Pages: 218 Price: U.S. $ 74.95
Hardback: ISBN:  9781647121099 Pages: 218 Price: U.S. $ 149.95
Paperback: ISBN:  9781647121105 Pages: 218 Price: U.S. $ 74.95

Abstract:

A groundbreaking collection by leading scholars that spans a broad range of
social situations, cultural contexts, and analytic perspectives.

The contemporary landscape of discourse analysis—which examines spoken,
written, and multimodal communication—is so diverse that, as volume
contributor Deborah Tannen observes, "discourse" has become almost synonymous
with "language" and, for many scholars, extends well beyond it. The ways in
which we communicate grow and change and so do approaches to discourse
analysis along with the diversity of topics, analytic contexts, and
disciplinary foundations. How do we conceptualize discourse? What are the
various approaches to studying it? And how can we put these approaches into
dialogue?

Scholars within the field of linguistics and beyond contribute to this volume
with discourse analyses in multiple languages, contexts, and modes. These
snapshots show the different ways language is used in modern social
situations—from email messages between professors and students, to Twitter
activism, to political trolling on online news articles, to video-chats
between US doctors and patients. Collectively, the chapters highlight the
diversity and complexity of the field. Across these varied approaches, what
emerges is a common understanding of communication as fundamentally connected
to human agency and creativity and as embedded in and constitutive of our
social and cultural worlds.

Approaches to Discourse Analysis demonstrates the importance of the diverse
perspectives that various approaches to discourse bring to bear on human
communication. Linguists and other readers interested in the interplay of
language and culture will gain new insight and understanding from this rich
compilation.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=156593