32.3239, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Learning Scientist - SLA & Assessment, Duolingo

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 15 01:17:20 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3239. Thu Oct 14 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3239, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Learning Scientist - SLA & Assessment, Duolingo

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 21:16:53
From: Dalia Shehata [dalia at duolingo.com]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: Learning Scientist - SLA & Assessment, Duolingo, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

University or Organization: Duolingo
Department: Learning & Curriculum
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Job Title: Learning Scientist - SLA & Assessment
Job Rank: Scientist

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make
it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you
come in!

Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with
over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily.
Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with
Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.

We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and
finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work,
limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds.
Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!

We are looking for a recent or soon-to-be Ph.D. graduate with research
expertise in second language acquisition and assessment. At Duolingo, you will
have an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge in a fast-paced,
collaborative environment, where you see the immediate impact of your work on
millions of learners worldwide.

What you'll do...
 - Collaborate on the development of in-app assessments in a variety of
languages to evaluate learner achievement across all language skills
 - Help design and conduct research studies aimed at assessing the overall
efficacy of Duolingo products and features
 - Gain insights from analyzing user accuracy and in-app behavior data and
communicate findings both internally and externally

What we're looking for...
 - Ph.D. degree. You are currently pursuing (or you recently graduated with) a
Ph.D. degree in applied linguistics, second language studies, TESOL, or a
related field. Your graduation date must be between May 2021 and August 2022.
 - Research expertise. You demonstrate strong research ability in second
language learning, preferably in language assessment and/or computer-assisted
language learning.
 - Experience with language testing. You have good foundational knowledge in
language assessment and experience designing and developing assessments,
analyzing test results, and evaluating quality of tests.
 - Data analysis skills. You have strong skills in statistics and data
analysis, especially as they relate to assessing the outcomes of language
learners at different proficiency levels.
 - Language knowledge. You know at least one language other than English.
 - Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication
skills.

Exceptional candidates will have...
 - Experience working in industry, especially in educational technology
 - At least basic knowledge of Spanish and/or French

Why you’ll love working here…
 - Language learning opportunities
 - Catered in-house lunches, and breakfast and dinner options
 - Company-wide Hackathon
 - PTO and company holidays
 - Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so
much more!

Please apply via the application link below.

Web Address for Applications: https://grnh.se/44454cac2us
Contact Information:
	Recruiter Dalia Shehata
	Email: dalia at duolingo.com