32.3260, Challenge Update: Week 5

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 17 03:38:21 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3260. Sat Oct 16 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3260, Challenge Update: Week 5

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 23:38:04
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Challenge Update: Week 5

Dear Linguist List,

While we passed the 30% mark, this was also the slowest week of the fund drive
so far.

You can trust us that asking for money is nobody’s favorite job. Nothing is
really for free. We have to pay the bills. The institutional support we
receive from Indiana University is simply not enough to cover the costs of
what we do. Your donations are an important part of our budget. But there is
another reason why you should consider even a small donation. Your donations
show to our host university the importance and visibility of the LINGUIST List
internationally and validate their investment in the LINGUIST List. Please, if
you have spare $5 and you use LINGUIST List, help us.

At the moment, we are at $12,102 – this is 30.26% of the fund drive goal. For
the most up-to-date information on the fund drive, check our website
https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/. You can also find there a lot of special
fund-drive content.

In the discipline challenge (https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/subfield/),
syntax is ahead of general linguistics by nearly $500 and general linguistics
is now clearly ahead of sociolinguistics. Applied linguistics, pragmatics,
historical linguistics and language acquisition fight fiercely for the third
place.

In our university challenge, the University of South Carolina has held the
lead since the beginning of the fund drive. 12 committed linguists have
donated nearly $900. We cannot thank you enough! But Stanford University is
very close to catch up with $820 and 11 donors. Applause! One more donation
might catapult Stanford to the top of the list. This week we have also
received a donation from the Societas Linguistica Europaea, which gave it the
third place in our ranking. Big thanks to the members of the society and its
board! In our region challenge, we received the first donation this year from
Africa, from the North-West University of Potchefstroom (I very fondly
remember my visit to Potchefstroom 12 years ago). Is your university on the
list? You can check it here: https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/university/),

No surprises can be reported in the country challenge – US is the absolute
leader with 91 donors. We have received much support from European countries;
in the lead are 10 donations from Germany and 6 from the Netherlands. Check
where your country stands at https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/country/ and
make a donation today!

We have only two weeks to go. How shall we collect the reminder of the sum
that will secure the smooth operation of the LINGUIST List for another year?
Yes, it’s up to you. Please donate at

Yours,

Malgosia Cavar

The LINGUIST List