32.3270, Staff Letter: Sarah

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 18 22:04:21 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3270. Mon Oct 18 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3270, Staff Letter: Sarah

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 18:03:59
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Sarah

Dear LINGUIST List readers,

My name is Sarah, and I’m on the Pubs Team–I manage journals, journal calls
for papers, TOCs, summer schools, and dissertations. We may have met through
email, or you may have read some of my blog posts about nerd stuff on the LL
blog. I’m also cross-trained in jobs and conferences and can jump on those
editorial areas if other editors are out for the day. (Or perhaps you’ve even
read my staff letters in previous years…)

The LINGUISTList provides invaluable opportunities to graduate students like
me who might otherwise have no way to participate in academia, and has been
doing so for years--after my first year in graduate school unfunded, I was
close to having to drop out because of the sheer financial pressure, and the
LINGUISTList helped me stay and pursue my research passions. LL keeps grad
students afloat and helps provide for the next generation of academics.

I earned my MA in General Linguistics in 2018 from Indiana University,
Bloomington, LL’s host institution, and am currently a member of the PhD
program in the Linguistics Department at IU, as well as doubling in the
Germanic Studies Department, with a (sort of unofficial at the moment) minor
in cognitive science. Since starting my graduate program, I’ve been able to
study ancient Germanic literature and philology, as well as branching out into
Cognitive Science. On top of historical languages, I have often worked on
researching manipulative discourse and propaganda, from a framework at the
intersections of cognitive linguistics, critical discourse analysis, and
philology. I especially love the critical discourse analysis work of such
luminaries and T.A. Van Dijk and Ruth Wodak, whose frameworks have been
invaluable to me, and Mark Turner’s conceptual blending theory has informed
some of my favorite research projects I’ve done working on manipulative
discourse and cognitive linguistics in a wide range of textual genres, from
Old English poetry to 20th Century propaganda! It’s a pretty broad range of
topics, but the overlaps and intersections have made it possible for me to
specialize in a really particular niche while building a strong background in
a wide range of linguistic studies. As of Spring 2021, I am finally studying
for qualifying exams!

Without a doubt, I would never have been able to craft such a strange,
simultaneously narrow-and-wide niche for myself without the support of the
LINGUIST List, for which I will be forever grateful.

And what that means is that I am also forever grateful to our subscribers and
donors. Without you, graduate students like me would quite literally be unable
to participate in academia. Especially in the last year and a half of the
Pandemic That Shall Not Be Named, as financial pressure has mounted on all of
us, our supporters and readers at the LINGUIST List have quite seriously
helped us survive through an extremely difficult year. I can never thank you
enough.

LL handles thousands of submissions and a gigantic amount of data day-to-day,
and there’s only a handful of graduate students working diligently to keep our
30,000 subscribers up-to-date on linguistic publications, job opportunities,
conferences where they can submit their research, and much more, as well as
doing the hairy work of filtering predatory publishers and conferences that
are likely to hurt academic careers more than help them.

When you support the LINGUIST List, you support the mission the LINGUIST List
stands for–the cause of creating a global linguistics community, a place to
share knowledge and find resources–but you also support students like me, who
wouldn’t otherwise be able to be part of it.

Thanks for donating!

Best regards,

Sarah