32.3283, FYI: Online Lecture 10/21: Stefano Cappa, Primary Progressive Aphasia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 19 09:34:33 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3283. Tue Oct 19 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3283, FYI: Online Lecture 10/21: Stefano Cappa, Primary Progressive Aphasia

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 05:31:39
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]

Thursday October 21st, 12pm (noon) ET
Presentation in Zoom, accessible via the C-STAR website:
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Primary progressive aphasia: a different window into brain and language

Stefano F. Cappa, MD.
IUSS Cognitive Neuroscience (ICoN) Center, University School  for Advanced
Studies (IUSS-Pavia) and Dementia Research Center IRCCS Mondino Foundation,
Pavia, Italy

Progressive language disorders (Primary progressive aphasias, PPA) due to
different forms of neurodegeneration have attracted a huge clinical and
research interest in the last decades. In the first part of my talk, I will
present present a historical overview of the topic, a discussion of assessment
tools and a summary of current clinical knowledge. The second part will be
dedicated to the contribution of PPA  to the neurobiology of language,
complementary to evidence coming from  “classical” post-stroke aphasia studies
and to functional imaging in normal subjects, with a special emphasis on the
role of metabolic imaging with (18F-FDG) PET in highlighting the functional
correlates of linguistic performance.

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics