32.3299, LINGUIST List day in the life: Jeremy

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 20 20:49:45 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3299. Wed Oct 20 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3299, LINGUIST List day in the life: Jeremy

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 16:49:25
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: LINGUIST List day in the life: Jeremy

With the clothes dryer rumbling behind me, and my two children playing
boisterously in the other room, I sit in my impromptu at-home "office" to sift
through the day's workload. Since the beginning of the pandemic, I have worked
remotely out of my home--some 15,000 miles from the LL office--but the
LINGUIST List and its happenings continue to roll forward. That's the beauty
of the online format: we bring linguistics content to you wherever in this
world you may be.

My primary responsibility at LINGUIST is as the editor for reviews. Every
year, LINGUIST List publishes hundreds of linguistically-relevant book
announcements from the world's top publishers. After books are announced, they
become available for review by qualified reviewers, who are paired with books
based on their qualifications. My job is to work with our head reviews editor,
Helen Aristar-Dry, to coordinate the assignment, editing, and publication of
book reviews on our site. I communicate with reviewers and publishers, process
review submissions, and publish the reviews onto our searchable database.
LINGUIST List reviews are often the very first reviews available on new
publications.

It is my pleasure to associate with wonderful co-workers at LINGUIST, as well
as the large number of reviewers who dedicate their time to carefully
reviewing books. This community is unlike any other in the world...in any
academic discipline!

Thank you to all who contribute to the LINGUIST List community in any way.
Without you, we would be unable to continue on. If you would like to support
what we do, please consider donating to our fund drive. Any amount of money
helps! You can donate at https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/.

With much appreciation,

Jeremy Coburn
Editor, Publications: Reviews