32.3314, Staff Letter: Everett Green

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 22 03:45:14 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3314. Thu Oct 21 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3314, Staff Letter: Everett Green

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 23:29:51
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Everett Green

Hello Linguist Listers,

My name is Everett Green, and after a bit of shuffling around of our roles
here at the LINGUIST List, I am once again the calls and conferences editor. I
also handle all of the smaller submission areas (i.e. FYI's, Software, Media,
Discussions, etc.)

I'm a dual PhD in computational linguistics and cognitive science at our host
institution Indiana University and between the two majors I have been able to
research everything from evolutionary algorithms and animal population
dynamics to abusive language detection in online spaces. Specifying my
interests has not been easy but over time I think I have settled into the idea
that I would like to help improve (or create) tools that assist other
researchers in doing their jobs more efficiently. There are many ways to do
this so I still have my work cut out for me but none of what I have done so
far would have been possible without the immense support that the LINGUIST
List has given me.

Having worked here for 4 years as of this past May, I have seen a lot of
discourse in the linguistics community and I'm happy to have facilitated so
many researchers in meeting one another and exchanging great ideas. As has
been mentioned before, this exchange of ideas also benefits us as editors
working here at the LINGUIST List since we are exposed to some of these
exchanges and thus learn a lot through osmosis. Also, as we progress through
our education with the help of the LINGUIST List, we are eventually able to
contribute to the community as researchers ourselves (some of us already are).
As a result, your donations not only enable us as students to continue our own
education but they also enhance the LINGUIST List's ability to connect
researchers like yourselves with one another across international boundaries.

Covid has been hard on many of us mentally and financially so thank you for
helping keep our community alive through your contributions.

Best wishes,
Everett Green

If you have not yet– please visit our Fund Drive page
(https://funddrive.linguistlist.org) to learn more about us and why we need
your help! The LINGUIST List relies on your generous donations to continue its
support of linguists around the world.

Our sincere thanks,
-- The LL Team