32.3355, Challenge Update: Week 6

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 25 19:50:16 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3355. Mon Oct 25 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3355, Challenge Update: Week 6

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Joshua Sims <joshua at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:49:51
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Challenge Update: Week 6

Dear all,

We are approaching the end of the Fund Drive, and we need your help to reach
our goal.  This week we have moved close to 5% towards our goal and as of
today, we have received $13,699.88. This is still far away from our
fund-raising goal which would guarantee smooth operation of the LINGUIST List
and support for our student editors in 2022.

I want to thank all the reliable supporters who donated in the past years and
have not let us down this year either. Thousands of linguists around the globe
read the Linguist List, yet fewer than 200 have decided to support us
monetarily since the beginning of this calendar year. Of course, not everybody
can donate and our site is free and open for all readers. But even a small
donation would help us immensely. I would like to invite all our readers to a
small thought experiment. What would happen if LINGUIST List would not be
there tomorrow? What would this mean for you and your colleagues, for your
students? What would this mean for the linguists in smaller institutions
without big funding? What would this mean for linguists in other countries?

Please donate: https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/
Please help us continue our mission, to connect linguists from different
universities, different countries and different frameworks. We want to tell
everybody about the conferences you organize, the books you have written, the
vacancies you want to fill, the funding opportunities for students, the grants
you should apply for, the ideas you want to share.

To follow the progress of the fund drive and see the up-to-date results of
numerous challenges, visit our website: https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/ .
In the subfield challenge, syntax is first in our ranking, with general
linguistics in second place and sociolinguistics in third. Cheers to all
syntacticians, general linguists and sociolinguists! The University of South
Carolina still leads in the university challenge. 16 donors from USC have
donated $995, just shy of a thousand! They are followed closely by Stanford,
with $920. Places three and four in the university challenge belong to the
Societas Linguistica Europaea and the Temple University at Japan. Sincere
thanks!

We are looking forward to the final race as we are approaching the end of the
fund drive. Please don’t forget to put your institution or program on the
linguistic map by supporting our service to the community:

With gratitude,
Malgosia
On behalf of the LINGUIST List team