32.3402, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 29 10:17:49 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3402. Fri Oct 29 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3402, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Poland

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 06:16:47
From: Katarzyna Papaja [kasiapapaja at interia.pl]
Subject: 33rd International Conference on Foreign / Second Language Acquisition

Full Title: 33rd International Conference on Foreign / Second Language Acquisition
Short Title: ICFSLA 2022

Date: 19-May-2022 - 21-May-2022
Location: Szczyrk, Poland
Contact Person: Katarzyna Papaja
Meeting Email: kasiapapaja at interia.pl
Web Site: http://icfsla.us.edu.pl

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2022

Meeting Description:

The Institute of Linguistics, School of English at the University of Silesia
is pleased to announce the 33rd International Conference on Foreign and Second
Language Acquisition (ICFSLA). As it has been for over thirty years now, this
conference focuses on research in second language acquisition and foreign
language learning, relating to different aspects of both the teaching and
learning of second/foreign languages. This time we decided to focus among
other topics on the most recent research as well as the didactic experiences
determined by the ongoing pandemic of Covid-19.

Call for Papers:

The main topic of the upcoming 2022 conference is: Modern technologies in
foreign language teaching, learning and research. The presence of modern
technologies is not a new theme, as both didactic context as well as research
ideas have been informed by it for decades now so we are also interested in
some of these more traditional approaches and contributions. However, the main
idea behind the conference theme comes from our more recent experiences of
functioning in the largely different environment of online teaching, learning
and research. Thus, we thought that perhaps our annual conference during the
post-pandemic time when life will be given back to us can become a forum for
sharing the new ideas that have originated in this difficult period for us
all. We would like to share these experiences and to demonstrate how we all
managed to use modern technology to the best of the potential it offered but
also to approach it critically understanding its dangers and inadequacies. We
hope that this topic will attract a wide range of participants from different
academic institutions around the world and that this shared reflection will
enrich our perceptions of the way educational institutions function in their
didactic and research roles now and in the future.

Traditionally, in addition to the leading theme, we also accept selected
proposals in other areas of SLA research of interest to our conference
participants for our varia sessions as well as those presentations that relate
to multilingualism research. In other words, please do not hesitate to
consider submitting your proposal even if it does not fit the main theme of
the conference. The choice of the topic to be presented – as long as it
relates to SLA in some way -is not the criterion for the acceptance of the
proposed presentation.

If, after the initial registration with the conference, prospective
participants demonstrate interest, we will continue with an academic
publishers´ session for less experienced scholars, where they can get updated
information on selected journals directly from their editors and can also
receive advice and guidance on how to prepare their articles to meet the
demands of an academic journal and to be accepted for publication.  As usual,
the session is run in a question-and-answer format, where editors answer the
questions of participants in relation not only to their own journals but also
in the more general context of academic publications. The event not only
allows its participants to make use of the editors´ expertise, but also
promotes information and suggestions concerning possible places for publishing
interesting and up to academic standard research.

Plenary Speakers:

Currently, we are happy to announce that the following scholars will present
the keynote talks at the 33rd ICFSLA conference:
- Prof. Regine Hampel (Open University, UK)
- Prof. Simone Pfenninger (University of Salzburg, Salzburg)
- Prof. Arkadiusz Rojczyk (University of Silesia, Katowice)
- Prof. Maria Pilar Safont (Univeristat Jaume I, Castello de la Plana)
- Prof. David Singleton (Professor Emeritus, Trinity College, Dublin)

Despite the success of last year´s online edition of ICFSLA, we are hoping
that the (post) pandemic situation will allow us to meet face-to-face. If this
be the case, the location of the conference will be in Szczyrk, the resort
town in the Beskidy Mountains of Southern Poland well-known to many of our
participants. The conference dates are 19th to 21st May 2022 (with the usual
option of an earlier arrival on Wednesday the 18th May). The conference venue
will be our favourite Hotel META. All conference participants can be
accommodated there, but if for any reason you prefer to choose different
accommodation, you may. If you do not require any accommodation, please
indicate this on your registration form. Details concerning the conference fee
will be announced in the Second Circular in February 2022.

Abstracts for presentations should be sent before the 31 January, 2022 to our
e-mail address: szczyrkconference2022 at gmail.com

You will be notified about acceptance by 20 February, 2022.

Registration:

The registration form, including your abstract, should be sent as an
attachment to an e-mail. Additionally, to facilitate the procedure of building
the conference database, all participants are kindly asked to type their entry
details into an Excel document (ICFSLA_baza2022.xls), filling in all the
columns in the second row below the blue headings, and send it back as a
separate attachment, changing its name to SurnameName.xls (in Excel 2003 or
later format). Both documents necessary for registration can be downloaded
from our webpage at www.icfsla.us.edu.pl

Not just those wishing to contribute papers but also those wanting to attend
the plenary talks, presentations and editorial session are warmly invited to
participate in the conference.