32.3429, Calls: Linguistic Theories, Psycholinguistics/Romania

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 31 10:49:33 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-3429. Sun Oct 31 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.3429, Calls: Linguistic Theories, Psycholinguistics/Romania

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 06:47:23
From: Gabriela BILBIIE [gabriela.bilbiie at lls.unibuc.ro]
Subject: Experimental and Corpus-based Approaches to Ellipsis

Full Title: Experimental and Corpus-based Approaches to Ellipsis
Short Title: ECBAE 2022

Date: 24-Aug-2022 - 27-Aug-2022
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Contact Person: Gabriela Bîlbîie
Meeting Email: gabriela.bilbiie at lls.unibuc.ro

Linguistic Field(s): Linguistic Theories; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 11-Nov-2021

Meeting Description:

Workshop on ellipsis at Societas Linguistica Europaea 2022

The main purpose of the ECBAE workshop is to bring together researchers who
have been working on elliptical phenomena (VP ellipsis, sluicing, stripping,
gapping, RNR, etc.) in various languages, with special emphasis on solid
empirical data, specifically through experimentation and corpus
investigations. Contributions will be welcome concerning (i) the specific
experimental methodologies being used in psycholinguistics, and how they can
be improved to give more reliable and interpretable results; and (ii) the way
corpus data can be brought to bear on theoretical questions, and to improve
the results of psycholinguistic experiments, specifically by increasing the
naturalness of the materials by providing new hypotheses.

Call for Papers:

We are very pleased to announce that we are planning to submit a proposal for
the fourth edition of the Experimental and Corpus-based Approaches to Ellipsis
(ECBAE) workshop to the international conference Societas Linguistica Europaea
SLE 2022, which will be held at the University of Bucharest between 24 August
and 27 August 2022.

The main purpose of the ECBAE workshop is to bring together researchers who
have been working on elliptical phenomena (VP ellipsis, sluicing, stripping,
gapping, RNR, etc.) in various languages, with special emphasis on solid
empirical data, specifically through experimentation and corpus
investigations. Contributions will be welcome concerning (i) the specific
experimental methodologies being used in psycholinguistics, and how they can
be improved to give more reliable and interpretable results; and (ii) the way
corpus data can be brought to bear on theoretical questions, and to improve
the results of psycholinguistic experiments, specifically by increasing the
naturalness of the materials by providing new hypotheses.

This iteration of ECBAE also especially welcomes submissions addressing issues
surrounding ellipsis identity. We are particularly interested in contributions
tackling one or more of the following questions:

I. How can we define identity conditions between elided materials and
antecedent materials from the discourse? E.g.:
–  Must identity conditions include syntactic descriptions (phrase markers /
LFs / Structured Meanings)?
– Alternatively, can identity conditions be stated over purely semantic or
pragmatic objects, with no associated „syntactic forms“ (e.g., syntactically
unstructured propositions, common ground inventory, etc.)?
– Are hybrid conditions needed that reference both of the above?
II. What precisely are the relations that have to hold between elliptical
utterances and their antecedents in the discourse? E.g.:
– What role (if any) do discourse-structuring mechanisms, such as coherence /
anaphoric accessibility relations, QUDs and/or contrastivity, play in
licensing ellipsis?
– Do we need different identity conditions and/or discourse relations for
different types of ellipsis (e.g., clausal versus predicate ellipsis)?
– Also, can antecedents for ellipsis be accommodated (i.e., have no explicit
mention the preceding discourse), and, if so, what are the restrictions on
accommodation?

If you are interested in submitting a paper to the ECBAE 2022, please send a
provisional abstract (max. 300 words) to ecbae4 at gmail.com before 11 November
2021. Notification of acceptance/rejection will be by 15 December 2021. After
our workshop proposal has been accepted, all preliminary workshop participants
will be invited to submit their full abstracts in Easychair before 15 January
2022.

We are looking forward to receiving your preliminary contribution to our next
ECBAE workshop.

Best,
Gabriela Bîlbîie, James Griffiths, Volker Struckmeier