32.2864, Calls: Ling & Literature / Journal of Literary Multilingualism (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 9 05:36:27 UTC 2021

LINGUIST List: Vol-32-2864. Thu Sep 09 2021. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 32.2864, Calls: Ling & Literature / Journal of Literary Multilingualism (Jrnl)

Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 01:36:18
From: Natasha Lvovich [natasha.lvovich at kbcc.cuny.edu]

Full Title: Journal of Literary Multilingualism

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature

Call Deadline: 15-Apr-2022

Call for Papers:

Special Issue:
Literary Multilingualism Studies: The Future of the Field

Literary multilingualism studies is a relatively new but burgeoning area of
research. With the impact of translation studies, the ‘transnational turn’
within literary studies, and the growing relevance of the ‘postmonolingual
condition’ in the contemporary world, multilingual and translingual writing
practices – considered in the past to be exceptional and unusual – are now at
the forefront of literary studies.

Scholars from a diverse range of linguistic, cultural, political, disciplinary
and theoretical positions are contributing to the field, engaging with
literature of all periods and all parts of the world. This rich diversity,
however, means that there is currently little consensus on established
terminology and on how ‘literary multilingualism’ might be defined. In
addition to this, scholarship is fragmented in the sense that scholars
engaging in one field of the discipline are often unaware of work being done
in others. There is thus a strong need for more dialogue.

For this inaugural issue of the Journal for Literary Multilingualism we invite
scholars to engage in a dynamic assessment of the field and its future. What
are the key questions and debates at stake within literary multilingualism
studies? What terminology is essential to the study of literary
multilingualism and how do we define those terms? What future directions does
the field need to take? We also invite provocations and critiques of literary
multilingualism studies thus far: what are its absences and blind spots? Which
aspects of literary multilingualism have been neglected?

We particularly welcome explorations of the following topics:

- Which concepts of language and of linguistic diversity can be of use for the
study of literary multilingualism? What are the advantages and disadvantages
of terms such as ‘translingual’, ‘multilingual’, the ‘monolingual paradigm’,
‘heteroglossia’, ‘born translated’ etc. Does any new terminology need to be
developed?

- What interdisciplinary possibilities are there between linguistics and
literary scholarship? What is the potential impact of concepts such as
code-switching, mixed languages, translanguaging,
glossodiversity/semiodiversity, etc. on literary multilingualism studies?

- How can scholarship in literary multilingualism do justice to the enormous
diversity of forms of multilingualism and the different ideologies of language
that have developed at different points in history and in different parts of
the globe? How do we need to address these regional, temporal and political
divergencies in the study of literary multilingualism? Which concepts and
theories are needed to counterbalance the particular modern and European focus
on monolingualism (e.g., responses to creolisation, postcolonial language use,
the difference between the ‘vernacular’ and the ‘cosmopolitan’, etc.)?

- What are the objects of literary multilingualism research (e.g.,
multilingual texts, translingual authors, institutions such as the publishing
industry, etc.)? Are there any particular forms of literary multilingualism
that have hitherto been neglected?

- What are the scholarly, cultural and political objectives of literary
multilingualism studies? What impact does literary multilingualism studies
have (or need to have) on literary studies more generally?

We welcome informal queries, and potential contributors may submit an abstract
by 31 October 2021 if they wish to receive initial feedback on their topic.
Please direct queries to Juliette Taylor-Batty (Leeds Trinity University),
j.taylor-batty at leedstrinity.ac.uk and Till Dembeck (Université du Luxembourg),
till.dembeck at uni.